Author Topic: Sacramentals and Devotions  (Read 2122 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Stephen Francis

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 682
  • Reputation: +861/-0
  • Gender: Male
Sacramentals and Devotions
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
  • Thanks!1
  • No Thanks!0
  • +JMJ+

    So many things have changed over the decades since Vat II. Many devotions such as Enthronement of the Sacred Heart, etc have fallen into disuse and neglect because the Modernist apostates dressing up as clergy are ignorant of the spiritual benefit offered by pious and sincere adoption of those devotions.

    Which sacramentals, devotional practices, etc do you feel have been the most neglected over the last 50 years?

    If you were born and/or raised in the traditional Faith pre-Council and were sensible to the changes that took place in your lifetime, can you share with us any particular devotions that you ONCE saw practiced frequently that fell into relative obscurity in your parish?

    My late maternal grandfather, who died in 1986, was a member of his parish Altar Society and Holy Name Society, IIRC. I recently met some men who are currently members of the Holy Name Society in that parish, and though they seemed like nice men, their comportment and demeanor made them seem more like Rotary Club or Moose Lodge members than members of the Society of the Holy Name of Jesus. They had their matching polo shirts with little parish logos on them and everything.

    One thing that I've noticed is how marginalized true Marian devotion has become. Sure, there are statues, etc of Our Lady in the parishes around me, but these days, if you can find a significant one at all, it's "Our Lady of Grace" or "Our Lady of Lourdes". Those are lovely images of Our Lady, and I would never disavow fidelity to Holy Church for recognizing Mary under those titles, but I notice almost NO images of "Our Lady of Fatima" or "Our Lady of Sorrows"; representations of Our Lady at times when she spoke apocalyptic warnings and reminded the world of the anguish of her Immaculate Heart.

    Plenty of nice, soft reminders of Our Lady's beautiful intercession and her Son's glory reflected in her Immaculate Conception, but no images or devotions that call to mind her messages of penance and impending disaster if men do not leave off their sin.

    Kyrie eleison.

    Immaculate Heart of Mary, triumph soon!

    Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.
    This evil of heresy spreads itself. The doctrines of godliness are overturned; the rules of the Church are in confusion; the ambition of the unprincipled seizes upon places of authority; and the chief seat [the Papacy] is now openly proposed as a rewar

    Offline songbird

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3022
    • Reputation: +1148/-49
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Processions for Our Lady, for the May Crowning.  Our processions in 1961 were so long that they had us outside as well as inside going up and down 3 aisles  and that was over 300 children.  Our church was not  considered a cathedral, but it was close enough in size.

    Also the need for the Sacred Heart Society.  It was for those who were alcoholics and such.  There were rules for membership, receiving the sacraments as often as possible.

    Then there was the Blue Army who would go door-to-door making sure that all who were catholic, had access to the sacraments.  St. Vincent De Paul did this.



    Offline Miseremini

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1196
    • Reputation: +818/-37
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »
  • Thanks!1
  • No Thanks!0
  •  The greatest devotion that has been lost is the Stations of the Cross.

    This is the most highly indulgenced devotion the church has ever had. Yes even higher than the rosary, which makes perfect sense as our salvation was purchased with Christ's Passion.

    A document published by the Bishop of New York dated 1904  states that there are SO MANY Plenary Indulgences attached to the Stations that priests are forbidden to inumerate them.  The document further states that we should keep one for ourselves and give the rest to the souls  in Purgatory.
    Every Pope (before VII) confirmed and/or increased these indulgences.

    As children we would make the stations after morning Mass.  There are NO PRAYERS REQUIRED when
    made in the church where they have been canonically erected.  All that is required is the act of contrition before you walk the stations meditating on the passion.  They can be made in less than 2 minutes.  Sound irreverant?  Don't blame me.  This is the instruction in every Raccolta ever printed in English by the Popes.!

    Remember  saints have told us that after the Ascension, Mary would walk the way of the passion with St. John.  Why have we stopped???  Are we too embarassed? People always say they don't want to disturb others praying after Mass.  Lousy excuse.  We're Catholics  we should start acting like it.

    The stations were always on Spiritual Bouquets but are now blaringly absent.
    SSPX even discontinues them in Lent on the First Friday.

    The easiest devotion carries the most graces.  Let's revive it.

    Before VII  all Catholics were Passionists.....now they've  turned into Resurrectionists
    "Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and them that hate Him flee from before His Holy Face"  Psalm 67:2[/b]


    Offline 1st Mansion Tenant

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1390
    • Reputation: +1137/-22
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Miseremini

    Before VII  all Catholics were Passionists.....now they've  turned into Resurrectionists




    Explained to another by a child in my family :  Protestants love the happy Jesus who gives you presents, Catholics love the sad Jesus who suffered to help us.

    Not perfect theology, but not too bad, I think, for a child's understanding.

    Offline Meg

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1792
    • Reputation: +780/-840
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Miseremini
    The greatest devotion that has been lost is the Stations of the Cross.

    This is the most highly indulgenced devotion the church has ever had. Yes even higher than the rosary, which makes perfect sense as our salvation was purchased with Christ's Passion.

    A document published by the Bishop of New York dated 1904  states that there are SO MANY Plenary Indulgences attached to the Stations that priests are forbidden to inumerate them.  The document further states that we should keep one for ourselves and give the rest to the souls  in Purgatory.
    Every Pope (before VII) confirmed and/or increased these indulgences.

    As children we would make the stations after morning Mass.  There are NO PRAYERS REQUIRED when
    made in the church where they have been canonically erected.  All that is required is the act of contrition before you walk the stations meditating on the passion.  They can be made in less than 2 minutes.  Sound irreverant?  Don't blame me.  This is the instruction in every Raccolta ever printed in English by the Popes.!

    Remember  saints have told us that after the Ascension, Mary would walk the way of the passion with St. John.  Why have we stopped???  Are we too embarassed? People always say they don't want to disturb others praying after Mass.  Lousy excuse.  We're Catholics  we should start acting like it.

    The stations were always on Spiritual Bouquets but are now blaringly absent.
    SSPX even discontinues them in Lent on the First Friday.

    The easiest devotion carries the most graces.  Let's revive it.

    Before VII  all Catholics were Passionists.....now they've  turned into Resurrectionists


    Do you know if there are still indulgences attached to making the Stations of the Cross after Mass? I've been confused about indulgences granted by previous Popes as to whether they are still considered binding - I would hope that they are. Could you explain more about how to meditate on the Passion while making the Stations? Should we just think about, briefly, each station as we go? It would be nice to not have to say the Stations prayers from the missal, since it takes awhile. I'd like to try this the next time I attend Mass. Thanks.


    Offline Miseremini

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1196
    • Reputation: +818/-37
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Meg


    Do you know if there are still indulgences attached to making the Stations of the Cross after Mass? I've been confused about indulgences granted by previous Popes as to whether they are still considered binding - I would hope that they are. Could you explain more about how to meditate on the Passion while making the Stations? Should we just think about, briefly, each station as we go? It would be nice to not have to say the Stations prayers from the missal, since it takes awhile. I'd like to try this the next time I attend Mass. Thanks.


    Yes!  There are still indulgences attached to making the Stations BUT NOT JUST AFTER MASS.  They can be walked anytime.  The important thing is that you be in a state of grace, thus the act of contrition.  Tradition teaches us that before ANY devotion our ancestors made an act of contrition.  We've lost that practice too.

    In the forward to the 1858 Raccolta it states that upon viewing the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS in the archives of the Vatican, it was noted that EVERY DOCUMENT STATED THE INDULGENCES WERE  BESTOWED FOREVER.  (It's also worthy to note that the documents read "Years"  not days.)

    Now JPII put out the New Norm for Indulgences but really all that did was change the number of days or years to read "Partial" and Plenary stayed as it was.  Also he stated that we could only receive one Plenary indulgence per day.
    Fine, it was always like that, but many people thought we could only earn one plenary indulgence per day.  If that was the case then we would have nothing to offer for the Poor Souls in Purgatory as we would always keep one for ourselves.
    He also didn't put out another Raccolta but totally ignored the devotions the faithful had had for centuries.  I guess if you ignore something it will eventually go away.

    Meditating on Our Lord's Passion while making the Stations can be done either by thinking or picturing one event , or several or each station as you pass it.  The requirment for gaining the indulgence is that you WALK IT when making them in private in the church.  Holy Mother Church as made it as simple as it could possibly be.  Remember meditating or thinking should be accompanied by compassion for Our Lord.

    If there is an old Church near you that is Novus Ordo but has canonically erected stations and is open you might want to slip in when no one is there and do the Stations in reparation .

    The Stations can also be done at home .  More to follow
    "Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and them that hate Him flee from before His Holy Face"  Psalm 67:2[/b]


    Offline Hobbledehoy

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3746
    • Reputation: +4804/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • This discussion upon the Stations of the Cross is most appropriate for September, dedicated to our Sorrowful Mother. Also, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross and that of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary is on this coming Saturday and Sunday respectively. Very excellent times wherein to make the Stations of the Cross!
    Please ignore all that I have written regarding sedevacantism.

    Offline StCeciliasGirl

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 747
    • Reputation: +413/-2
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Miseremini

    Meditating on Our Lord's Passion while making the Stations can be done either by thinking or picturing one event , or several or each station as you pass it.  The requirment for gaining the indulgence is that you WALK IT when making them in private in the church.  Holy Mother Church as made it as simple as it could possibly be.  Remember meditating or thinking should be accompanied by compassion for Our Lord.

    If there is an old Church near you that is Novus Ordo but has canonically erected stations and is open you might want to slip in when no one is there and do the Stations in reparation.


    And just to add, our fallen NO parish has the absolute worst "modernist" abstract stations, but I've walked them anyway with my own pictures in hand (so I'll know what each parish station is supposed to be depicting) and you can really see first-hand the disrespect and dishonor laid upon Our Lord. You can also get some good scorn for walking the stations if the parish is as fallen as ours is (the women who somehow work there shooting you the evil eye; the "priest" trying to talk to you during your stations; or just loud, rude talk).
    The number of the elect is so small - so small - that were we to know how small it is, we should faint away with grief. The number of the elect is so small that were God to assemble them together, He would cry to them, as He did of old, by the mouth of Hi


    Offline Meg

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1792
    • Reputation: +780/-840
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Miseremini
    Quote from: Meg


    Do you know if there are still indulgences attached to making the Stations of the Cross after Mass? I've been confused about indulgences granted by previous Popes as to whether they are still considered binding - I would hope that they are. Could you explain more about how to meditate on the Passion while making the Stations? Should we just think about, briefly, each station as we go? It would be nice to not have to say the Stations prayers from the missal, since it takes awhile. I'd like to try this the next time I attend Mass. Thanks.


    Yes!  There are still indulgences attached to making the Stations BUT NOT JUST AFTER MASS.  They can be walked anytime.  The important thing is that you be in a state of grace, thus the act of contrition.  Tradition teaches us that before ANY devotion our ancestors made an act of contrition.  We've lost that practice too.

    In the forward to the 1858 Raccolta it states that upon viewing the ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS in the archives of the Vatican, it was noted that EVERY DOCUMENT STATED THE INDULGENCES WERE  BESTOWED FOREVER.  (It's also worthy to note that the documents read "Years"  not days.)

    Now JPII put out the New Norm for Indulgences but really all that did was change the number of days or years to read "Partial" and Plenary stayed as it was.  Also he stated that we could only receive one Plenary indulgence per day.
    Fine, it was always like that, but many people thought we could only earn one plenary indulgence per day.  If that was the case then we would have nothing to offer for the Poor Souls in Purgatory as we would always keep one for ourselves.
    He also didn't put out another Raccolta but totally ignored the devotions the faithful had had for centuries.  I guess if you ignore something it will eventually go away.

    Meditating on Our Lord's Passion while making the Stations can be done either by thinking or picturing one event , or several or each station as you pass it.  The requirment for gaining the indulgence is that you WALK IT when making them in private in the church.  Holy Mother Church as made it as simple as it could possibly be.  Remember meditating or thinking should be accompanied by compassion for Our Lord.

    If there is an old Church near you that is Novus Ordo but has canonically erected stations and is open you might want to slip in when no one is there and do the Stations in reparation .

    The Stations can also be done at home .  More to follow


    Great info here. Thanks!

    Offline Hobbledehoy

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3746
    • Reputation: +4804/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0




  • Rev. Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P., helps us meditate upon the Stations of the Cross with the Angelic Doctor in his work The Love of God and the Cross of Jesus, (trans. Sister Jeanne Marie, O. P.; Vol. 2; St. Louis, MO: B. Herder Book Co., 1951).






























    Please ignore all that I have written regarding sedevacantism.

    Offline Nadir

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4530
    • Reputation: +2599/-60
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: songbird
    Processions for Our Lady, for the May Crowning.  Our processions in 1961 were so long that they had us outside as well as inside going up and down 3 aisles  and that was over 300 children.  Our church was not  considered a cathedral, but it was close enough in size.

    Also the need for the Sacred Heart Society.  It was for those who were alcoholics and such.  There were rules for membership, receiving the sacraments as often as possible.

    Then there was the Blue Army who would go door-to-door making sure that all who were catholic, had access to the sacraments.  St. Vincent De Paul did this.



    In our parish we had the Parish Pilgrim Statue, which was of Our Lady of Fatima. Every week the priest would annnounce whose home it would be in, and the neighbouring pashishioners would gather each evening at that home. Each Sunday evening She would be delivered to the next home. Those were very neighbourly times. Sigh!

    We had the Holy Name Society for the men, who would all sit up the front of the Church at 7am Mass one Sunday each month and after Mass they had special prayers.  

    For the women there was the Sacred Heart Sodality (also once a month) and for us older girls there was the Children. We would wear lovely blue cloaks and veils, all the way from home. We weren't ashamed to walk in public in them. For the younger girls (who had made their first Holy Communion) there was a similar group who wore a red cloak, but sadly I can't remember what we were called or devoted to. Can anyone help me there?

    I still have my children of Mary cloak and my veil.

    Then there were the Eucharistic processions. I was a flower strewer. That was very special because we used to walk ahead of the Blessed Sacrament and throw our rose petals as a carpet for Him to walk on.

    We had such a rich and wonderful upbringing, sadly, very sadly all destroyed by Vatican to and its henchmen.  


    Offline poche

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 12517
    • Reputation: +370/-561
    • Gender: Male
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Has anybody had the altar of St Joseph?

    Offline Nadir

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4530
    • Reputation: +2599/-60
    • Gender: Female
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Edit.

     for us older girls there was the Children of Mary

    Offline Hobbledehoy

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3746
    • Reputation: +4804/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Here is a devotion that is hardly known nowadays. From Carmelite Devotions and Prayers for Special Feasts of the Liturgical Year, compiled by a Carmelite Tertiary (Milwaukee, WI: The Bruce Publishing Company, 1956):











    Please ignore all that I have written regarding sedevacantism.

    Offline Neil Obstat

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 14725
    • Reputation: +7473/-291
    • Gender: Male
    Re: Sacramentals and Devotions
    « Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • The greatest devotion that has been lost is the Stations of the Cross.

    This is the most highly indulgenced devotion the church has ever had. Yes even higher than the rosary, which makes perfect sense as our salvation was purchased with Christ's Passion.

    A document published by the Bishop of New York dated 1904  states that there are SO MANY Plenary Indulgences attached to the Stations that priests are forbidden to inumerate them.  The document further states that we should keep one for ourselves and give the rest to the souls  in Purgatory.
    Every Pope (before VII) confirmed and/or increased these indulgences.

    As children we would make the stations after morning Mass.  There are NO PRAYERS REQUIRED when
    made in the church where they have been canonically erected.  All that is required is the act of contrition before you walk the stations meditating on the passion.  They can be made in less than 2 minutes.  Sound irreverant?  Don't blame me.  This is the instruction in every Raccolta ever printed in English by the Popes.!

    Remember  saints have told us that after the Ascension, Mary would walk the way of the passion with St. John.  Why have we stopped?? Are we too embarrassed? People always say they don't want to disturb others praying after Mass.  Lousy excuse.  We're Catholics - we should start acting like it.

    The stations were always on Spiritual Bouquets but are now blaringly absent.
    SSPX even discontinues them in Lent on the First Friday. [How about on Ash Wednesday?]

    The easiest devotion carries the most graces.  Let's revive it.

    Before VII  all Catholics were Passionists.....now they've  turned into Resurrectionists
    The newfangled robot warned me:

    Quote
    Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
    Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

    Yes, robot, I'm sure. Perhaps when you're just a robot, you don't recognize the eternal value of some things.
    Readers who have a church to go to where the stations are canonically erected ought to take advantage of that, because there are a lot of Catholics today who have no such place to go to. When a traveling priest visits for his occasional Mass, it's often in a home or a rented hall, where a bishop has not blessed stations.
    .--. .-.-.- ... .-.-.- ..-. --- .-. - .... . -.- .. -. --. -.. --- -- --..-- - .... . .--. --- .-- . .-. .- -. -.. -....- -....- .--- ..- ... - -.- .. -.. -.. .. -. --. .-.-.

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16