Author Topic: New website anyone?  (Read 2258 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline StMarysKStrad

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Reputation: +34/-0
New website anyone?
« on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Hello all.  I have been a lurker here for months and thank God I have come across it.   We live in St. Marys, KS and we are fed up.  This morning Fr. Fullerton made the sermon for all 5 Masses constitute of a reading of +F's DICI "interview".   It was sickening to have to hear all the false arguments, strawmen args, and plain nonsense.  

    Although I love this site, I think we need another (actual website) devoted to both "short" and "in-depth" refutations of +F, and as well as Fr. Rostand's interview tomorrow, which I full expect to be again - full of strawman arguments and non-sequiturs...

    1.  I am willing to setup and maintain this new website, but I don't want to duplicate work.  I know we have cathinfo and savesspx, but does anyone else know of a website which has in-depth solid refutations, in an organized manner?

    2.  Once I have the site setup, I trust there are plenty of people here who would be willing to contribute articles (with full credit/references given to them, of course!)?

    In Christ,
    Traddy

    Offline Matthew

    • Mod
    • *****
    • Posts: 23022
    • Reputation: +20177/-243
    • Gender: Male
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • I've taken your idea and run with it:
    http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php/Help-create-a-FAQ-submit-links-notes-arguments

    Actually, we have the perfect website right here.

    What is needed is a "FAQ" or "Cliffs Notes" version of all the arguments -- laying out why we are "hard liners" and destroying the sophisms of the pro-agreement camp.

    It would be quite easy -- if I wasn't up to my neck in work, with 4 kids to raise, I'd probably do it myself.

    Someone could collect links to the various articles, etc. but CathInfo could host a copy of each of them, in case the SSPX tries to "disappear" them down the memory hole.
    Start your Amazon.com session by clicking this link, and my family and I get a commission on your purchase!


    Offline Thorn

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1028
    • Reputation: +616/-32
    • Gender: Female
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Actually it makes more sense to use a website already up & running with many, many followers already than to go to the trouble of setting up another & trying to get a following.  Time is of the essence here too.
    "I will lead her into solitude and there I will speak to her heart.  Osee 2:14

    Offline Ferdinand

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 391
    • Reputation: +0/-1
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Hello All,

    Each e-mechanism (forum, petition, blog and full blown media rich website) has their own advantage.  IMHO,  a dedicated website is in order so as to appeal to a broader spectrum of recipients.  "Quidquid recipitur per modum recipientis recipitur"

     

    Offline StMarysKStrad

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 13
    • Reputation: +34/-0
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Thanks, guys for responding.   Yes, I agree with Ferdinand.   I should have stated more clearly my reasons for another website.   I in no way want to imply that anything is lacking here, except that the format is not the most conducive to reach certain super-busy newbies / fence straddlers.  

    Consider this.   Trads are super busy (as Matthew says).  You have to first get them to even consider that there may be another side to the argument.  Then, if you're lucky,  you have once chance to get them to go to a website (or something).  Once there, it seems to me that you have about 2 minutes before they lose interest in not being able to have the summary arguments clearly laid out, or find the answer to that objection that is really eating at them (and makes them so mistrustful of us in the first place).   Now a discussion board like this is excellent for people who really want to go in-depth, but, because of its format, it may not be so effective with people on the fence who "aren't even sure what the big deal is anyway?"

    So:  with all that said,  I am considering reaching out to the people here in St. Marys any which way I can, maybe using a tactic similar to the brave souls who recently put an ad in the St. Marys tar, or maybe other tactics   Similar to that ad, I want to direct them to a website - but one in which it is super easy to get the "big picture" right off the bat, without having to check thread after thread to guess where they ought to begin.

    Frankly, another part of me wants a website for this reason:  unlike this board, I may not allow responses / posts.  After all, the SSPX propaganda engines do not allow the other side of the argument.   Why should I allow a blog-style system which may very well dissuade a newbie from further consideration.   Unfair?  Cowardly?  Maybe, but I am concerned about the practical results.

    In Christ,
    Traddy


    Offline nadieimportante

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 771
    • Reputation: +496/-0
    • Gender: Male
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Matthew
    I've taken your idea and run with it:
    http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php/Help-create-a-FAQ-submit-links-notes-arguments

    Actually, we have the perfect website right here.

    What is needed is a "FAQ" or "Cliffs Notes" version of all the arguments -- laying out why we are "hard liners" and destroying the sophisms of the pro-agreement camp.

    It would be quite easy -- if I wasn't up to my neck in work, with 4 kids to raise, I'd probably do it myself.

    Someone could collect links to the various articles, etc. but CathInfo could host a copy of each of them, in case the SSPX tries to "disappear" them down the memory hole.


    Are you the owner of Cathinfo?
    "Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.
     Right is right even if no one is doing it." - Saint Augustine

    Offline catherineofsiena

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 349
    • Reputation: +470/-1
    • Gender: Female
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: StMarysKStrad
    Thanks, guys for responding.   Yes, I agree with Ferdinand.   I should have stated more clearly my reasons for another website.   I in no way want to imply that anything is lacking here, except that the format is not the most conducive to reach certain super-busy newbies / fence straddlers.  

    Consider this.   Trads are super busy (as Matthew says).  You have to first get them to even consider that there may be another side to the argument.  Then, if you're lucky,  you have once chance to get them to go to a website (or something).  Once there, it seems to me that you have about 2 minutes before they lose interest in not being able to have the summary arguments clearly laid out, or find the answer to that objection that is really eating at them (and makes them so mistrustful of us in the first place).   Now a discussion board like this is excellent for people who really want to go in-depth, but, because of its format, it may not be so effective with people on the fence who "aren't even sure what the big deal is anyway?"

    So:  with all that said,  I am considering reaching out to the people here in St. Marys any which way I can, maybe using a tactic similar to the brave souls who recently put an ad in the St. Marys tar, or maybe other tactics   Similar to that ad, I want to direct them to a website - but one in which it is super easy to get the "big picture" right off the bat, without having to check thread after thread to guess where they ought to begin.

    Frankly, another part of me wants a website for this reason:  unlike this board, I may not allow responses / posts.  After all, the SSPX propaganda engines do not allow the other side of the argument.   Why should I allow a blog-style system which may very well dissuade a newbie from further consideration.   Unfair?  Cowardly?  Maybe, but I am concerned about the practical results.

    In Christ,
    Traddy


    Why don't you and Matthew link back and forward between both?  That way you can both maintain your preferred formats and increase viewer base.
    For it is written: I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be dispersed. Matthew 26:31

    Offline StMarysKStrad

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 13
    • Reputation: +34/-0
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Thanks Catherine.    Yes, links back and forth was exactly what I was thinking.  

    Thanks, Matthew, I am not the the owner of cathinfo - I'm a simple guy in the pews here at St. Marys, who is pretty familiar with the terrible odds we are up against: the masses are super busy moms and dad, lots and lots of kids, most of whom probably think it would be a sin to even read "the other side".   So, if I can get them to a website, I want the sales pitch to be perfect...


    Offline wallflower

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1866
    • Reputation: +1982/-93
    • Gender: Female
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Another reason for the dedicated website would be that (let's face it) not all refutations made on a forum are reasoned and objective.

    Many people if they were to see +Fellay or the SSPX being spoken of in a disrespectful manner would be turned off and not even get to see the solid arguments. They would be disconcerted and it would actually push them towards having more sympathy for the "official" party line (that those against the deal are just uncouth rumor-mongerers to be ignored).

    Those who are used to forums and online characters would be ok sifting through but not many in traddom spend much time in forums, it would be shocking and distract them from the real issues whereas having a dedicated website would give them the chance to see the issues clearly without personal opinions getting in the way.  

    Offline MaterDominici

    • Owner's Wife
    • Mod
    • *****
    • Posts: 4931
    • Reputation: +3672/-68
    • Gender: Female
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: wallflower
    Another reason for the dedicated website would be that (let's face it) not all refutations made on a forum are reasoned and objective.
     


    I'm not entirely certain how you'd ensure this even with a blog-type format of contributed articles, but I agree with you in theory. No offense to StMarys Trad or anyone else, but some people write well and are convincing and then there are those like myself with lots of good intention that just don't. : ) With StMarys Trad only having 3 posts, I have no idea where s/he falls as far as this goes.

    Nonetheless, I do think a more direct format website is a great idea. There's lots of information here at CathInfo, but if you're not accustomed to sorting through it all, you won't get as much from it as you might from a straightforward listing of articles which can each be read independently.

    Quote
    Many people if they were to see +Fellay or the SSPX being spoken of in a disrespectful manner would be turned off and not even get to see the solid arguments.


    Yes, thorough review of contributed articles would be necessary to maintain the credibility of the site.
    "If I could only make the faithful sing the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Credo, the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei ... that would be to me the finest triumph sacred music could have, for it is in really taking part in the liturgy that the faithful will preserve their devotion. I would take the Tantum ...

    Offline Neil Obstat

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 18160
    • Reputation: +8250/-634
    • Gender: Male
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: StMarysKStrad
    It was sickening to have to hear all the false arguments, strawmen args, and plain nonsense.


    It's really unfortunate that you have not provided a copy for us to read here.
    We're missin' out. How about them apples? You may feel oppressed but we can't help if we don't know the substance of the matter. Come to think of it, this is reminiscent of a certain Preamble.
    .--. .-.-.- ... .-.-.- ..-. --- .-. - .... . -.- .. -. --. -.. --- -- --..-- - .... . .--. --- .-- . .-. .- -. -.. -....- -....- .--- ..- ... - -.- .. -.. -.. .. -. --. .-.-.


    Offline MaterDominici

    • Owner's Wife
    • Mod
    • *****
    • Posts: 4931
    • Reputation: +3672/-68
    • Gender: Female
    New website anyone?
    « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:15 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Neil Obstat
    Quote from: StMarysKStrad
    It was sickening to have to hear all the false arguments, strawmen args, and plain nonsense.


    It's really unfortunate that you have not provided a copy for us to read here.
    We're missin' out. How about them apples? You may feel oppressed but we can't help if we don't know the substance of the matter. Come to think of it, this is reminiscent of a certain Preamble.


     :confused1:
    He said it was the DICI interview.
    Maybe you're trying to make some sort of point here and I'm just missing it entirely.
     :confused1:
    "If I could only make the faithful sing the Kyrie, the Gloria, the Credo, the Sanctus and the Agnus Dei ... that would be to me the finest triumph sacred music could have, for it is in really taking part in the liturgy that the faithful will preserve their devotion. I would take the Tantum ...

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16