Other good things to do to prepare for the coming collapse:
1) Think about a way out of town using side roads
2) Wood burning stoves with cook tops are great for both purposes. Only cook at night so nobody sees your smoke.
3) Light discipline: Don't let the whole world see you have power, or they will all be coming to take it from you. Trash bags over the windows at night are great cheap solutions
4) katadyn gravidyn water purifier makes potable water from pond scum. Big Berkey is ok too.
5) lots of garbage bags and a couple 5 gallon buckets. And lots of toilette paper to go with it.
6) lots of matches, lighters, fire starter kits.
7) batteries of all types.
solar powered generator (uses no gas and makes no noise; can be used indoors). This should be a priority, as it can take the place of several other items.
9) cheap kerosene lanterns with plenty of extra wicks.
10) some type of grill to cook over open fires.
11) cast iron cookware of all types (can be cleaned with steel tools, and has unlimited durability)
12) lots of liquor for barter, medicinal purposes, and temperate stress relief. 3 cases of the cheapest whiskey you can find will be priceless.
13) camping supplies of all types, especially military cots, mess kits, camp tents, etc.
14) if you have the money: night vision goggles and scopes. You will have to maintain 24 hour security. They will come for you at night.
15) ham radio. If the grid goes down, these will still work, if you know how to use one. You will be an influential and valuable person after the collapse if you do.
16) get the books "Where there is no doctor" and "Where there is no dentist."
17) visit the Mormon website to buy cheap bulk dry goods at providentliving.com. They have a food distribution warehouse in every mid/major city in the country, and you don't have to be one of those freaks to buy there.
18) solar charger for items like Walkie-talkies, very useful for security
19) 50 gallons of gas (you can add preservatives to make it last about 16 months; diesel will last twice as long.
20) Any vehicle from the 1970s or earlier would be EMP proof, and still function after a nuclear blast.....if it isn't destroyed.
21. Plenty of places to buy underground bunkers, with covert construction available. See hardcastle.com or hardenedstructures.com, etc.
22) have a panic room in your house, like building a false wall under your stairwell, and fortify it with steel, etc.
23) got infants? Lots of diapers of various sizes, or good old fashioned cloth diapers.
24) In which case, you will want a hand cranked portable washer (fits about 2 outfits and costs $50)
25) visit the Amish website lehmans.com for an abundance of non-electric devices people will kill you for after the collapse.
26) Bible, Imitation of Christ, Rosary, holy water, and go get a priest to take with you.
27) Non prescription antibiotics/penicillins are available at pet stores, and are identical to human versions, despite the warning they are not for human consumption. Stock up on them like there is no tomorrow. You can find plenty of doctors on the Internet telling you the same thing, but if you still don't believe it, there are also doctors on the web who will prescribe you penicillins for prepping purposes.
28) want me to keep going?