Catholic Info

Traditional Catholic Faith => General Discussion => Topic started by: CatholicinFL on September 12, 2013, 09:52:52 AM

Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 12, 2013, 09:52:52 AM
   


   Hi, as you can see I'm new. I have been looking for advice everywhere on what to do with my life as I am graduating next year. I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events(i.e. Syria, gay marriage, ect.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? I have been considering something like firefighter or EMT or even the coast guard instead of the Air Force. I want a job that is not the 'corporate slave' type but that is also morally good. My father and I talk about it and we both agreed that a combat job in the military would be wrong, but would a combat medic job be bad or some other support type job?

  Since I am new I will give you a bit of backround. I am homeschooled, I live on a farm with goats and chickens, I serve Mass, I am the oldest of 10, I used to play Lacrosse as a Goalie, and thats about it.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: sedetrad on September 12, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
I would recommend becoming a navy nurse. If you are bright and do well , the navy will put you through nurse practitioner or physicians assistant school. You will also be able to attain good government jobs more readily than your peers after your service.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: sedetrad on September 12, 2013, 10:02:00 AM
Honestly, the military is the best gig going for any young man that doesn't have appropriate connections to obtain employment after college.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Iuvenalis on September 12, 2013, 10:30:49 AM
Even as a noncombatant, the military is a sea of immorality, sex, even drugs, and women in the service are implicitly encouraged to be (and often are) whorish.

You should not seek a wife there unless you find quite the exception.

The military is not interested in your desire to access *Catholic* sacraments or clergy. You will, at least, have access to a 'chaplain' who may or may not be a Catholic, and they need not even provide you with Catholic 'Mass', and will tell you your spiritual needs are accommodated by the offering of a non-denominational "Christian" service.

This may or many not happen, but be aware it is a possibility. This particularly complicated confessions as well.

Lastly, you will have to endure immoral men in your unit, who will be the norm, as well as an insistence you tolerate now-open homosexuality.

These things would be true of almost any job, although the military magnifies these issues of immoral, unCatholic coworkers by also controlling where you live and in what situation you live (until you decide to get your own apartment off base).

So, it can be endured. You'll have to endure the world eventually anyway, but the military is different from being a waiter at a Chili's while you work your way through a community college, because you can go *home* at the end of the day instead of rooming with degenerates (possibly, although there are good people who are not Godless in the military). You can attend Mass on Sunday if you work at a restuarant, retail store, fast food, etc. The military you may get deployed and have to rely on the Mass options (or lack thereof possibly) available where they deploy you.

So, it has pluses and minuses. You will certainly make more money in the military from a lifestyle perspective  than you will working entry level jobs while you go to a junior college.

Another option is a skilled trade apprenticeship. People say these require connections, and while knowing someone in a trade union helps, you can get an apprenticeship through diligence, especially since most entrants into apprenticeships "washout", that is, they do not finish because they are unmotivated or uninterested.

You can literally call unions and/or go to their websites to inquire about apprenticeships, or ask a local licensed tradesman (depending on the state you live in) if they'll take an apprentice or know someone who is.

There are more than plumbing, electrician and carpenter.

There are millwright, elevator mechanic (the highest paid bar none), structural steel, various portworkers like the longshoreman, boilermakers, etc all of which have unions and training programs.

Good luck, and pray for St. Joseph's intercession. Set yourself up to be able to afford a family by getting a skill.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: BTNYC on September 12, 2013, 10:55:09 AM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
   


   Hi, as you can see I'm new. I have been looking for advice everywhere on what to do with my life as I am graduating next year. I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events(i.e. Syria, gay marriage, ect.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? I have been considering something like firefighter or EMT or even the coast guard instead of the Air Force. I want a job that is not the 'corporate slave' type but that is also morally good. My father and I talk about it and we both agreed that a combat job in the military would be wrong, but would a combat medic job be bad or some other support type job?

  Since I am new I will give you a bit of backround. I am homeschooled, I live on a farm with goats and chickens, I serve Mass, I am the oldest of 10, I used to play Lacrosse as a Goalie, and thats about it.


In addition to the excellent points made by Iuvenalis, I would like to add this:

It's not so much that the military is not what it once was, as it is that the military has now arrived at the logical end of what it has always been: the strong arm of the world's first totally secular, post-Christian, Masonic-Enlightenment Empire. From its very inception, throwing off the yoke of its legitimate (though heretical) soverign for the benefit (and at the behest) of the Colonies' wealthiest citizens, right up to the impending conflict with Syria, the US Military has never - not ever - been engaged in what could be termed by any intellectually honest Catholic a "just war." Lest you become a pawn in the ungodly machinations of Internationalists, stay as far away from the Military as you can.

I second Iuvenalis' advice about pursuing a trade. I regret not having done so myself, the four years I spent at a secular university were a monumental waste of time and money.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: bowler on September 12, 2013, 11:53:24 AM
Quote from: sedetrad
I would recommend becoming a navy nurse. If you are bright and do well , the navy will put you through nurse practitioner or physicians assistant school. You will also be able to attain good government jobs more readily than your peers after your service.


I remember reading that 60% of women in the Navy get pregnant within 1 year. I would not recommend such a job for women.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Capt McQuigg on September 12, 2013, 11:59:11 AM
The military is a great paying occupation.  They are actually overpaid, sob stories in the press notwithstanding.

The Navy and the Coast Guard would be the least morally offensive.  Both of these organizations have completely legitimate missions in both peacetime and wartime.  

The Air Force exists to bomb and incinerate people, so if our country was lead by fine morally upstanding people this wouldn't be a problem.  However, even under the best circumstances, the air force is morally repulsive.  Technically fantastic, though!  

The standing armies are neutral, as in their job descriptions.  A guy aiming a rifle has more moral agency than a guy pushing a button on a computer screen far removed from the scene.

The environment in the military is largely inconducive to living a Catholic lifestyle but there are "Iron Man" competitions so to speak.

I would discourage the military as an option, unless you wanted to excel at some exclusive military skill like flying a fighter jet or some military activity.  

The culture of the military is constantly going more and more pro-abortion and now women and gays are poster children for the "future" of the military.  Too many of your fellow soldiers would be almost like grifters always looking for a scam.    

You would also be at the beck and call of what can only be described as a masonic society (which is what the U.S. has pretty much always been but the mask is completely off now).

Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: bowler on September 12, 2013, 12:01:39 PM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
   


   Hi, as you can see I'm new. I have been looking for advice everywhere on what to do with my life as I am graduating next year. I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events(i.e. Syria, gay marriage, ect.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? I have been considering something like firefighter or EMT or even the coast guard instead of the Air Force. I want a job that is not the 'corporate slave' type but that is also morally good. My father and I talk about it and we both agreed that a combat job in the military would be wrong, but would a combat medic job be bad or some other support type job?

  Since I am new I will give you a bit of backround. I am homeschooled, I live on a farm with goats and chickens, I serve Mass, I am the oldest of 10, I used to play Lacrosse as a Goalie, and thats about it.


What does your father do for a living that he can't teach you? I learned my work from my father, and he learned it from my grandfather, and my grandfather learned it from his father. Although all four of us dealt in different businesses, the knowledge base is still the same. A father teaches his children EVERYTHING about survival in the world, how to repair everything in the house, field, auto, business, conduct, honor, justice, the Faith..... etc.

This theory of sons learning on their own from others is for the animals that abandon their offspring at birth, like snakes, and sharks.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 12, 2013, 12:50:57 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly. My father was an officer in the Navy and now he is an industrial engineer. I agree that a "profession" is better than wasting money and time at a 4 year university in this day in age. I agree that the Coast Guard is probably the least offensive because  they are practically a maritime rescue/police force with a military spin and they rarely leave US waters. But what do you think of Firefighting and/or EMT? You can raise a family on the average pay but you wont get rich. Plus you are doing a work of mercy, right? Visit the sick. I think pulling someone out of a wrecked car or burning building falls under that. I don't think getting a Firefighter job or EMT job is that hard, I looked into it. There are always more people so that also increases the need for more doctors, EMTs, Paramedics, Firefighters, ect.
   The lure the military has on me is I guess the desire for action or excitement, maybe I played with G.I. Joes to much as a kid. And I agree that the military is just muscle for the masonic "empire" we belong to, but is the coast guard a possible alternative based on the reasons I gave above?
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 12, 2013, 12:54:02 PM
 Oh and to give you some perspective Father Hewko convinced me and my dad about the military.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: claudel on September 12, 2013, 12:56:22 PM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
… I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events (i.e. Syria, gay marriage, etc.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? …


First and foremost, I recommend that you look for a thread called "First-hand experience in the Military." It may be found in the Catholic Living in the Modern World subforum.

As a former Vietnam combat veteran (drafted!), permit me to say that everyone's advice (save sedetrad's) is good. Stay far away from the military. It is not a jobs program, no matter what government stooges may call it. Its purpose is to forward the immoral aims of the USA, which is International Jewry's chief client state, by murdering people, most of whom are and have been civilians.* If you think you can live a morally upright life there, you are kidding yourself bigtime.

Service in the military today ought to be considered objectively disordered and gravely sinful. As I wrote in a comment in the thread just mentioned, "I nearly despair of Trads … who in a real sense subvert the very Faith they claim to want to further by speaking anything but ill of service in this country's evil armed forces." I continue to stand by every syllable of that comment.
_____________________________

* Incidentally, the military was never what it "once" was!—that is to say, what its sentimental apologists would have one believe. Unlike local and state militias from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, whose purpose was primarily defense and secondarily an occasional evening out with the boys and away from the ball-and-chain, the US military has been an instrument of aggression since at least the First Seminole War. One is hard put to think of an authentically defensive posture since John Adams called Washington out of retirement to direct the naval campaign against the Barbary States, which were seizing unarmed merchant vessels and kidnapping their wealthy occupants and killing the rest. Swollen-head Marines have been singing about "the shores of Tripoli" ever since!
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Matto on September 12, 2013, 01:10:02 PM
It's only a good choice if you want to murder people for Jews.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Iuvenalis on September 13, 2013, 12:10:18 AM
Quote from: claudel


First and foremost, I recommend that you look for a thread called "First-hand experience in the Military." It may be found in the Catholic Living in the Modern World subforum.


I simply cannot find this thread. At all. I tried google even.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: claudel on September 13, 2013, 12:21:07 AM
Quote from: Iuvenalis
Quote from: claudel
First and foremost, I recommend that you look for a thread called "First-hand experience in the Military." It may be found in the Catholic Living in the Modern World subforum.


I simply cannot find this thread. At all. I tried google even.


Here (http://www.cathinfo.com/catholic.php/First-hand-experience-in-the-Military) you go.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: poche on September 13, 2013, 12:22:40 AM
Quote from: Iuvenalis
Even as a noncombatant, the military is a sea of immorality, sex, even drugs, and women in the service are implicitly encouraged to be (and often are) whorish.

You should not seek a wife there unless you find quite the exception.

The military is not interested in your desire to access *Catholic* sacraments or clergy. You will, at least, have access to a 'chaplain' who may or may not be a Catholic, and they need not even provide you with Catholic 'Mass', and will tell you your spiritual needs are accommodated by the offering of a non-denominational "Christian" service.

This may or many not happen, but be aware it is a possibility. This particularly complicated confessions as well.

Lastly, you will have to endure immoral men in your unit, who will be the norm, as well as an insistence you tolerate now-open homosexuality.

These things would be true of almost any job, although the military magnifies these issues of immoral, unCatholic coworkers by also controlling where you live and in what situation you live (until you decide to get your own apartment off base).

So, it can be endured. You'll have to endure the world eventually anyway, but the military is different from being a waiter at a Chili's while you work your way through a community college, because you can go *home* at the end of the day instead of rooming with degenerates (possibly, although there are good people who are not Godless in the military). You can attend Mass on Sunday if you work at a restuarant, retail store, fast food, etc. The military you may get deployed and have to rely on the Mass options (or lack thereof possibly) available where they deploy you.

So, it has pluses and minuses. You will certainly make more money in the military from a lifestyle perspective  than you will working entry level jobs while you go to a junior college.

Another option is a skilled trade apprenticeship. People say these require connections, and while knowing someone in a trade union helps, you can get an apprenticeship through diligence, especially since most entrants into apprenticeships "washout", that is, they do not finish because they are unmotivated or uninterested.

You can literally call unions and/or go to their websites to inquire about apprenticeships, or ask a local licensed tradesman (depending on the state you live in) if they'll take an apprentice or know someone who is.

There are more than plumbing, electrician and carpenter.

There are millwright, elevator mechanic (the highest paid bar none), structural steel, various portworkers like the longshoreman, boilermakers, etc all of which have unions and training programs.

Good luck, and pray for St. Joseph's intercession. Set yourself up to be able to afford a family by getting a skill.

You will find the sea of immorality just about wherever you go. God has given us the grace to be Catholic and we have to live that holiness that God calls us to. And who knows who you could be a vehicle of conversion for?  
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Iuvenalis on September 13, 2013, 02:19:11 AM
Quote from: poche

You will find the sea of immorality just about wherever you go. God has given us the grace to be Catholic and we have to live that holiness that God calls us to. And who knows who you could be a vehicle of conversion for?  


I clearly acknowledged that he millitary is not the only job where one will find immoral coworkers, but I explained the ways in which it is uniquely suited to inculcating a depraved *lifestyle*

I have asked before, what is your first language?
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Tiffany on September 13, 2013, 11:49:34 AM
Quote from: sedetrad
Honestly, the military is the best gig going for any young man that doesn't have appropriate connections to obtain employment after college.


I agree with you sedetrad.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Tiffany on September 13, 2013, 11:59:41 AM
Quote from: Capt McQuigg


I would discourage the military as an option, unless you wanted to excel at some exclusive military skill like flying a fighter jet or some military activity.  



Someone advised me the opposite was true. He said for every pilot in the air there are  200 people supporting it. He said get a math or engineering degree and go in the AF, they have the nicest facilities for families.

I wish my former husband would have joined the Army. After college he did require service in his native country's military and the same position here was really in demand.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Zeitun on September 13, 2013, 12:01:24 PM
Quote from: Tiffany
Quote from: Capt McQuigg


I would discourage the military as an option, unless you wanted to excel at some exclusive military skill like flying a fighter jet or some military activity.  



Someone advised me the opposite was true. He said for every pilot in the air there are  200 people supporting it. He said get a math or engineering degree and go in the AF, they have the nicest facilities for families.

I wish my former husband would have joined the Army. After college he did require service in his native country's military and the same position here was really in demand.


What country is that?  I didn't know there was mandatory service--is it a draft?
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Tiffany on September 13, 2013, 12:12:28 PM
Not a draft for war but mandatory service. He is close to 50 so this was some time ago, have no idea what it's like now.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Capt McQuigg on September 13, 2013, 12:30:20 PM
Tiffany,

What I said, or meant to say, that if someone wanted to excel at something (like being a fighter pilot or shooting someone in the head from 400 yards away) then the military would be a place to do such a thing.  The best flyers in the world are in the military so if a guy wanted to excel at such a thing, the Navy or Air Force would be the place.  As for target practice with a rifle, the NRA marksmen are probably a big step up from military snipers in shooting proficiency.  

Yes, 200 people to support one wasteful fly guy.  I am fully aware of all the fraud, waste and abuse in the military in addition to the moral repulsiveness.  From a purely material point of view, the military is a very nice deal - good pay, little real responsibility, great benefits and a great retirement plan.



Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Tiffany on September 13, 2013, 12:35:57 PM
He knew our situation and was just advising what would be a good path for my son as a young adult.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Timothy on September 13, 2013, 12:41:42 PM
Quote from: Zeitun
Quote from: Tiffany
Quote from: Capt McQuigg


I would discourage the military as an option, unless you wanted to excel at some exclusive military skill like flying a fighter jet or some military activity.  



Someone advised me the opposite was true. He said for every pilot in the air there are  200 people supporting it. He said get a math or engineering degree and go in the AF, they have the nicest facilities for families.

I wish my former husband would have joined the Army. After college he did require service in his native country's military and the same position here was really in demand.


What country is that?  I didn't know there was mandatory service--is it a draft?


Many countries, even today, still have a peacetime draft.  However, some permit draftees to perform some time of alternative service in lieu of military service.  For example, in Austria all men must serve in the military for six months when they reach 18 years old, or they can choose to do some type of civilian service for nine months (e.g. working in a retirement home, hospital, etc.).  Other European countries that have a peacetime draft include Greece, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Norway, Russia, and Switzerland.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Capt McQuigg on September 13, 2013, 12:50:17 PM
Quote from: Tiffany
He knew our situation and was just advising what would be a good path for my son as a young adult.


I hope it all worked out for your son.  
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: RomanCatholic1953 on September 13, 2013, 10:06:41 PM
Remember, the military is not a democracy. You take and obey orders
without question.
You will have carry out orders that may be against Church teachings and
and your correct formed Christian Catholic conscience.
If there is sin is involved, you are not excused.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Cuthbert on September 13, 2013, 10:55:25 PM
I would advise anyone considering taking Obamugabe's dollar (from the old expression, taking the King's shilling) to research depleted uranium. It's used in all sorts of munitions now & has a drastic effect on the probable life expectancy of those who breathe it.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Mithrandylan on September 14, 2013, 09:24:04 AM
You question is if it makes a good career?  To that I couldn't help but say no, since you'll be moving all the time and away from your family.  

I wouldn't want to go at all because I wouldn't want to swear an oath to defend the country's laws, which are godless and liberal.  
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Hobbledehoy on September 14, 2013, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
   
   Hi, as you can see I'm new. I have been looking for advice everywhere on what to do with my life as I am graduating next year. I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events(i.e. Syria, gay marriage, ect.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? I have been considering something like firefighter or EMT or even the coast guard instead of the Air Force. I want a job that is not the 'corporate slave' type but that is also morally good. My father and I talk about it and we both agreed that a combat job in the military would be wrong, but would a combat medic job be bad or some other support type job?

  Since I am new I will give you a bit of backround. I am homeschooled, I live on a farm with goats and chickens, I serve Mass, I am the oldest of 10, I used to play Lacrosse as a Goalie, and thats about it.


Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have no practical advice for you, as I am entrapped in the day-to-day race of making ends meet with any labor or service I can do, having to face the cascade of failures that have made my former academic career a nostalgic joke. I am therefore in no position to offer counsel to a young man when it comes such matters.

The only advice I have to give is the one you have probably been given before: prayer.

I recommend devotion to the Miraculous Infant of Prague, as various miracles have been wrought by Our Lord through this devotion that specifically pertain to the subject of vocation, of how to conform to God's will with the rest of our lives.

Here's something that may help, from Lord God: A Book of Prayers for Boys and Young Men authored by Dom Hubert Van Zeller (London: Burns Oates & Washbourne, Ltd., 1936):


(http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/platonic123/Texts/VocationPrayer_zps38646d57.jpg)
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: BTNYC on September 14, 2013, 09:47:59 AM
Quote from: poche
Quote from: Iuvenalis
Even as a noncombatant, the military is a sea of immorality, sex, even drugs, and women in the service are implicitly encouraged to be (and often are) whorish.

You should not seek a wife there unless you find quite the exception.

The military is not interested in your desire to access *Catholic* sacraments or clergy. You will, at least, have access to a 'chaplain' who may or may not be a Catholic, and they need not even provide you with Catholic 'Mass', and will tell you your spiritual needs are accommodated by the offering of a non-denominational "Christian" service.

This may or many not happen, but be aware it is a possibility. This particularly complicated confessions as well.

Lastly, you will have to endure immoral men in your unit, who will be the norm, as well as an insistence you tolerate now-open homosexuality.

These things would be true of almost any job, although the military magnifies these issues of immoral, unCatholic coworkers by also controlling where you live and in what situation you live (until you decide to get your own apartment off base).

So, it can be endured. You'll have to endure the world eventually anyway, but the military is different from being a waiter at a Chili's while you work your way through a community college, because you can go *home* at the end of the day instead of rooming with degenerates (possibly, although there are good people who are not Godless in the military). You can attend Mass on Sunday if you work at a restuarant, retail store, fast food, etc. The military you may get deployed and have to rely on the Mass options (or lack thereof possibly) available where they deploy you.

So, it has pluses and minuses. You will certainly make more money in the military from a lifestyle perspective  than you will working entry level jobs while you go to a junior college.

Another option is a skilled trade apprenticeship. People say these require connections, and while knowing someone in a trade union helps, you can get an apprenticeship through diligence, especially since most entrants into apprenticeships "washout", that is, they do not finish because they are unmotivated or uninterested.

You can literally call unions and/or go to their websites to inquire about apprenticeships, or ask a local licensed tradesman (depending on the state you live in) if they'll take an apprentice or know someone who is.

There are more than plumbing, electrician and carpenter.

There are millwright, elevator mechanic (the highest paid bar none), structural steel, various portworkers like the longshoreman, boilermakers, etc all of which have unions and training programs.

Good luck, and pray for St. Joseph's intercession. Set yourself up to be able to afford a family by getting a skill.

You will find the sea of immorality just about wherever you go. God has given us the grace to be Catholic and we have to live that holiness that God calls us to. And who knows who you could be a vehicle of conversion for?  


"Try and be a witness to the Catholic Faith to your buddies while you're killing women and children in the name of Freemasonry and Zionism."

Great advice, poche.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: BTNYC on September 14, 2013, 09:52:11 AM
Quote from: Tiffany
Quote from: Capt McQuigg


I would discourage the military as an option, unless you wanted to excel at some exclusive military skill like flying a fighter jet or some military activity.  



Someone advised me the opposite was true. He said for every pilot in the air there are  200 people supporting it. He said get a math or engineering degree and go in the AF, they have the nicest facilities for families.

I wish my former husband would have joined the Army. After college he did require service in his native country's military and the same position here was really in demand.


Of course, he'd have been directly or indirectly murdering people who were never a threat to him at the behest of Israel and the Internationalist Cabal, but hey, money is money.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: parentsfortruth on September 14, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
Let's not even mention the fact that these men over there are guinea pigs. How, you might ask? Well, vaccines, for instance. You can't refuse vaccines, and who knows what kind of crap they put in them?

"Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy." --Henry Kissinger

Is this the way you want to be treated? You are no longer your own in the military. You belong to them, and totally to them.


Don't believe me on the vaccines? Watch this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7M_TZpQiIY?feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

I'm sure many have heard about "Gulf War Syndrome." It's real. I know people that have it. Their lives are riddled with problems that range from very heavy drinking to kill pain, disabling mental health issues, to cancer in their children.

Please take some time to watch this. I know it's an hour and a half, but if you really value your life...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZVOOmi9gDE?feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: parentsfortruth on September 14, 2013, 12:58:31 PM
Go read some of these stories about the vaccines from actual veterans, and please tell me that they're just delusional or something, because this looks like a deliberate campaign to kill the "good 'ol boys" joining the military.

PLEASE do NOT ruin your life and join the military!

http://thinktwice.com/military.htm
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: BTNYC on September 14, 2013, 03:36:52 PM
Excellent points raised, PFT.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Croix de Fer on September 14, 2013, 03:45:38 PM
I served in the Air Force; however, I witnessed and experienced the conditions of servicemen, and the lack of respect for their dignity, as asserted by Zionist Jew Henry Kissenger, "Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CathMomof7 on September 15, 2013, 05:38:43 PM
My husband and I both served in the United States Army.  I can attest to a few things.  Firstly, there is a definite class system.  Officers are the educated elite and have their own code of ethics.  Since most of these men and women are from an educated family background with intact families and/or moderate financial status, they often have better insight, discipline, and moral values.  Most of the enlisted personnel are from broken homes, poverty, limited access to education, and have questionable values to begin with.  Living with a few hundred 20 somethings in a barracks can be a cesspool of moral degradation.  It would make you sick to know some of the things these people do.  The NCO's are often the worst because they come from the same questionable background but now have certain amounts of power and prestige.

Also, certain people are drawn to certain branches.  The Army, for example, is about 20% black.  Most of these are enlisted.  This brings a certain attitude and atmosphere to the ranks.  About 15% of the entire military is also now female.  And many of those are black.  It's a good place for a black woman of limited means to get ahead, have a steady income and housing.  

Also, at a certain point, Officers really can't get promoted without meeting certain criteria.  Almost 75% of officers are married as opposed to the enlisted which sits about 40 or 50%.  They are expected to get married and their wives are expected to participate in some organization or activity on post.  It's a political thing, so to speak, where at a certain point, officers must campaign for promotion.  They have parties and hob-nob.  Perhaps this is why many men in politics got their start in the military.  

Yes, the military uses it's enlisted personnel as guinea pigs.  I honestly believe that if they drop biological weapons my husband and I will survive because we have probably been vaccinated against just about everything.  The only thing you can refuse is a flu vaccine, if and only if you have had a past documented reaction to it.

Why do people even consider joining?  It's obvious.  Life in the military is often a better choice than scraping and scrapping for survival.  It's sometimes a way out of a terrible life.  There is discipline there of some sorts and if you play your cards right a certain level of security and protection.  You have a steady paycheck, always have housing, have free medical care, and rarely lack for anything.  Some people think in this economy the pay off is worth it.

For those considering becoming an officer, the choice is often to pay back student loans, get some training in specialized fields like pilots or intelligence, and for political aspirations.  

Truth is in this economy, even having a skill such as carpentry or electrical wiring does not always put food on the table.  

Our son, who graduates college in December, is trying to get accepted to OCS in the Navy.  He's spoken to us at great length about it.  We've prayed about it.  And while we are aware of the many dangers and problems with the military, we are okay with his decision.  He doesn't plan on making it a career, but hopes to serve about 8 years.  

Probably unlike most here, I don't take either position that "yes, it's a great idea" or "no, stay away from the military at all costs."  I think all factors must be considered.  Perhaps it's a better living environment for some.  I don't think for most, though, a "career" is what one should consider.  It ages you before your time.  It changes you.  You have to be very strong to withstand the emotional and spiritual attacks you will face.

Also, I was in quite some time ago.  Now homosexuals are freely admitted, and certain things that were not permitted those years ago are permitted now.

Generally speaking, I would say that unless you have a good plan and that you understand the bottom line, one should not join the military in any capacity.

What is the bottom line?  You are expendable.  You belong to the government.  You will be placed in situations that will cause you direct harm, even death, for your government.  Anyone who is opposed to this or who can't accept this, should not enlist nor take a commission.

FWIW, very few jobs today are conducive for traditional Catholics.  If one is using this lone criteria for seeking employment, then one will either be greatly disappointed or unemployed.  We no longer live in a society where moral values are respected or valued.  Some careers, obviously, have more issues than others.  But we do have to feed our families.  

Young men are facing some hard times.  I believe it's best to discuss these matters with both parents and priests.  We must also be honest with ourselves about the world in which we live and our expectations.  

Just my two cents....
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 16, 2013, 02:19:51 PM
 I agree with the moral/ethical issues of joining the military. But I have looked into stuff a little more and I came up with three possible ways I could do service to my country.

 1. I could try out for one of these 'elite' units( i.e. SEALs, Pararescue, Special Forces.) because they seem more focused and more competent than regular "grunts." For most of these their recruitment websites on the requirement list they  want people with no criminal record and moral standards (for instance, they aren't going to give some slum-dawg gang-banger a navy SEAL contract, or any special operator contract for that matter). Now the down side of this is that I might be used for 'peacetime' direct action missions that help further the agenda of O' and his ilk.

2.I could join the national guard. That way I wont be around the homo/drugs/anything-else crap 24/7, only 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year and plus I would get skills, experience, ect., and still have time for family and I dont have to move around so getting to Mass wont be so hard. The downside of this is that There is a great chance that I will be activated and sent to Afganistan ( 55% of troops there are National Guard). Also the NG are the true cannon-fodder, they train 2 days a month,get the picture? There is a Special Forces NG unit in Florida but you have to be at least 21 ( their website claims that they are up-to-snuff with active duty SF units). NG people go to regular army (or Air Force) training and boot camp :drillsergeant: (obviously).

3. I could just become a Firefighter. They get okay pay and as they go up in the ranks they make more. I would help my local community, I wouldn't have to move around, and it Isn't morally questionable, in fact it is morally good.

Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 16, 2013, 02:40:02 PM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
I agree with the moral/ethical issues of joining the military. But I have looked into stuff a little more and I came up with three possible ways I could do service to my country.

 1. I could try out for one of these 'elite' units( i.e. SEALs, Pararescue, Special Forces.) because they seem more focused and more competent than regular "grunts." For most of these their recruitment websites on the requirement list they  want people with no criminal record and moral standards (for instance, they aren't going to give some slum-dawg gang-banger a navy SEAL contract, or any special operator contract for that matter). Now the down side of this is that I might be used for 'peacetime' direct action missions that help further the agenda of O' and his ilk.

2.I could join the national guard. That way I wont be around the homo/drugs/anything-else crap 24/7, only 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year and plus I would get skills, experience, ect., and still have time for family and I dont have to move around so getting to Mass wont be so hard. The downside of this is that There is a great chance that I will be activated and sent to Afganistan ( 55% of troops there are National Guard). Also the NG are the true cannon-fodder, they train 2 days a month,get the picture? There is a Special Forces NG unit in Florida but you have to be at least 21 ( their website claims that they are up-to-snuff with active duty SF units). NG people go to regular army (or Air Force) training and boot camp :drillsergeant: (obviously).

3. I could just become a Firefighter. They get okay pay and as they go up in the ranks they make more. I would help my local community, I wouldn't have to move around, and it Isn't morally questionable, in fact it is morally good.



I forgot to mention that Pararescue only does Search-and-Rescue and they only shoot people/kill in defense of themselves and/or their patients.

What say you!
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: claudel on September 16, 2013, 09:11:08 PM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
What say you!


I say you haven't listened to a single bloody word spoken to you. You want to be a US-government-certified killer-for-cash, even if only for a few days a month, and you want other people who frequent this site to tell you to go for it.

Not me. Never. Do me and everyone else a favor and take your vanity-driven search for applause elsewhere.

Shame on you.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: mikemac on September 16, 2013, 09:58:55 PM
Quote from: CatholicinFL
   


   Hi, as you can see I'm new. I have been looking for advice everywhere on what to do with my life as I am graduating next year. I have always planned on joining the Air Force but because of recent events(i.e. Syria, gay marriage, ect.) I am thinking that the military is not what it once was and if I were to go to war would I be justified? I have been considering something like firefighter or EMT or even the coast guard instead of the Air Force. I want a job that is not the 'corporate slave' type but that is also morally good. My father and I talk about it and we both agreed that a combat job in the military would be wrong, but would a combat medic job be bad or some other support type job?

  Since I am new I will give you a bit of backround. I am homeschooled, I live on a farm with goats and chickens, I serve Mass, I am the oldest of 10, I used to play Lacrosse as a Goalie, and thats about it.


"Is the military a good career choice?"

No it is not.

A firefighter, EMT or the coast guard would be a much better choice.  The coast guard would be interesting.  Service to my country domestically.  Two of my cousins worked with the Canadian Coast Guard based in Tobermory on Lake Huron.  Two weeks on the ship and two weeks off.  If they wanted to they could have applied for a transfer to the east or west coast or to work on ice breakers in the Canadian arctic.

All the best in your decision.

 
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: rlee on September 16, 2013, 10:31:56 PM
http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/09/06/christian-airman-punished-by-lesbian-commander-now-being-investigated-for-talking-to-media/

The armed forces is not my Father's (a career Army Officer) military. That includes the US Coast Guard.

I spent 18 years in law enforcement ending in the mid 1980s and wouldn't even recommend that any more. It has been transformed by Federal money and influence from a Peace Officer's role into a domestic military operation that views the citizens it is supposed to protect as "the enemy" with far too many coworkers that you cannot trust to help you keep your body and soul safe.

I have been an EMT and a Respiratory Therapist and think that a career as a Paramedic would be something you could do and hold your head high.

Career choices for good Catholic men are rapidly disappearing.

Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: CatholicinFL on September 17, 2013, 10:41:26 AM
Okay, I can see how serious you are. It is kind of frustrating because only about a month ago did someone tell me "You will waste your life in the military, it is not good, it is bad." So I got on this forum to see what other people who believe the same things I do thought about it. I thank the people who have responded. I can say you have convinced me.
Title: Is the military a good career choice?
Post by: Croix de Fer on October 02, 2013, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: CathMomof7
My husband and I both served in the United States Army.  I can attest to a few things.  Firstly, there is a definite class system.  Officers are the educated elite and have their own code of ethics.  Since most of these men and women are from an educated family background with intact families and/or moderate financial status, they often have better insight, discipline, and moral values.  Most of the enlisted personnel are from broken homes, poverty, limited access to education, and have questionable values to begin with.  Living with a few hundred 20 somethings in a barracks can be a cesspool of moral degradation.  It would make you sick to know some of the things these people do.  The NCO's are often the worst because they come from the same questionable background but now have certain amounts of power and prestige.

Also, certain people are drawn to certain branches.  The Army, for example, is about 20% black.  Most of these are enlisted.  This brings a certain attitude and atmosphere to the ranks.  About 15% of the entire military is also now female.  And many of those are black.  It's a good place for a black woman of limited means to get ahead, have a steady income and housing.  

Also, at a certain point, Officers really can't get promoted without meeting certain criteria.  Almost 75% of officers are married as opposed to the enlisted which sits about 40 or 50%.  They are expected to get married and their wives are expected to participate in some organization or activity on post.  It's a political thing, so to speak, where at a certain point, officers must campaign for promotion.  They have parties and hob-nob.  Perhaps this is why many men in politics got their start in the military.  

Yes, the military uses it's enlisted personnel as guinea pigs.  I honestly believe that if they drop biological weapons my husband and I will survive because we have probably been vaccinated against just about everything.  The only thing you can refuse is a flu vaccine, if and only if you have had a past documented reaction to it.

Why do people even consider joining?  It's obvious.  Life in the military is often a better choice than scraping and scrapping for survival.  It's sometimes a way out of a terrible life.  There is discipline there of some sorts and if you play your cards right a certain level of security and protection.  You have a steady paycheck, always have housing, have free medical care, and rarely lack for anything.  Some people think in this economy the pay off is worth it.

For those considering becoming an officer, the choice is often to pay back student loans, get some training in specialized fields like pilots or intelligence, and for political aspirations.  

Truth is in this economy, even having a skill such as carpentry or electrical wiring does not always put food on the table.  

Our son, who graduates college in December, is trying to get accepted to OCS in the Navy.  He's spoken to us at great length about it.  We've prayed about it.  And while we are aware of the many dangers and problems with the military, we are okay with his decision.  He doesn't plan on making it a career, but hopes to serve about 8 years.  

Probably unlike most here, I don't take either position that "yes, it's a great idea" or "no, stay away from the military at all costs."  I think all factors must be considered.  Perhaps it's a better living environment for some.  I don't think for most, though, a "career" is what one should consider.  It ages you before your time.  It changes you.  You have to be very strong to withstand the emotional and spiritual attacks you will face.

Also, I was in quite some time ago.  Now homosexuals are freely admitted, and certain things that were not permitted those years ago are permitted now.

Generally speaking, I would say that unless you have a good plan and that you understand the bottom line, one should not join the military in any capacity.

What is the bottom line?  You are expendable.  You belong to the government.  You will be placed in situations that will cause you direct harm, even death, for your government.  Anyone who is opposed to this or who can't accept this, should not enlist nor take a commission.

FWIW, very few jobs today are conducive for traditional Catholics.  If one is using this lone criteria for seeking employment, then one will either be greatly disappointed or unemployed.  We no longer live in a society where moral values are respected or valued.  Some careers, obviously, have more issues than others.  But we do have to feed our families.  

Young men are facing some hard times.  I believe it's best to discuss these matters with both parents and priests.  We must also be honest with ourselves about the world in which we live and our expectations.  

Just my two cents....



I largely agree with this synopsis above ^, except for the very last part of this statement,
Quote
Since most of these men and women [officers] are from an educated family background with intact families and/or moderate financial status, they often have better insight, discipline, and moral values.


Generally, this is not true, rather, these people from more affluent, educated, disciplined and intact families are just as deviant and morally devoid as the enlisted personnel. The only difference is the officers are just better at concealing it while still appearing to have "values" and "character", since they are more disciplined in their approach to life. Also, they are more efficacious at damage control and deflection of their misdeeds, or having other officers excuse them, since they are the ones in power. It's like a "good ole boys (and girls) club". The enlisted ranks get busted more because they, as you said, are on the low end of the caste system, therefore, they are much more expendable and easy targets to be lambasted as an example of how not to behave.