Author Topic: School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy  (Read 1160 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Belloc

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6601
  • Reputation: +614/-0
  • Gender: Male
School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
« on: January 14, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/Father-facing-fines-for-teens-truancy

    Hutto High School principal Brandy Baker supports holding parents accountable for their students' unexcused absences from school.
    "If the courts have determined that's the most appropriate accountability measure is fining them, then I would support it and do support it," said Baker.
    She said the school has several methods of supporting school attendance.
    "We're not going to give up and they'll continue to get phone calls and letters and e-mails and we'll knock on their door because we really want those students to be here," said Baker.
    Proud "European American" and prouder, still, Catholic

    Offline Telesphorus

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 12714
    • Reputation: +7/-12
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:14:33 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • The public schools are truly a pest.



    Offline Belloc

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 6601
    • Reputation: +614/-0
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:03:20 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Telesphorus
    The public schools are truly a pest.



    a true  :devil2:
    Proud "European American" and prouder, still, Catholic

    Offline CathMomof7

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1045
    • Reputation: +1270/-10
    • Gender: Female
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:05:39 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • In our school district, 3 unexcused absences are turned over to the superintendent as truancy.  The fine to the parents is $150 for the first offense.  The second office is $300.  If your student is truant for 10 days or more, you can be arrested.

    Offline ora pro me

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 648
    • Reputation: +379/-0
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • That's because they want their ADA (average daily attendance) money to be as high as possible.  It's all about the dollar, or in this case mega dollars per child.

    Every taxpayer and/or voter should know how much their school district gets per child in attendance.  The sticker price will shock you if you don't already know it.


    Offline Catholic Samurai

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 2813
    • Reputation: +733/-12
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: ora pro me
    That's because they want their ADA (average daily attendance) money to be as high as possible.  It's all about the dollar, or in this case mega dollars per child.

    Every taxpayer and/or voter should know how much their school district gets per child in attendance.  The sticker price will shock you if you don't already know it.


    Where I used to live it was $5000 per kid. I recall one particular school that got caught actually making up fake student records (of non-existent students) for the purpose.
    "Louvada Siesa O' Sanctisimo Sacramento!"~warcry of the Amakusa/Shimabara rebels

    "We must risk something for God!"~Hernan Cortes


    TEJANO AND PROUD!

    Offline ora pro me

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 648
    • Reputation: +379/-0
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Samurai,
    How long ago was that? I'd be curious to know what the amount is now. That $5000. may well be doubled now.  I did a quick google search and came up with this:  

    http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/fd/ec/documents/currentexpense0809.xls

    Check it out. Most schools have annual costs per student in the high 4 digits, but there are a few well above $20,000.  Unbelievable! I'd be relieved if someone could tell me that this isn't so!


    Offline TKGS

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4553
    • Reputation: +3909/-365
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 06:55:21 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • How many people remember when an "excused absence" meant that you had a note signed by your mother...and the school secretary knew what your mother's handwriting looked like.  I was absolutely shocked when a heard parents talking about excused and unexcused absences and discovered that the parents don't decide what is excused.  It made me glad that I never put any of my kids in those holding cells.


    Offline Catholic Samurai

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 2813
    • Reputation: +733/-12
    • Gender: Male
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: ora pro me
    Samurai,
    How long ago was that? I'd be curious to know what the amount is now. That $5000. may well be doubled now.  I did a quick google search and came up with this:  

    http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/fd/ec/documents/currentexpense0809.xls

    Check it out. Most schools have annual costs per student in the high 4 digits, but there are a few well above $20,000.  Unbelievable! I'd be relieved if someone could tell me that this isn't so!



    That happened about 8-10 years ago. The amount that the state grants was and still appears to be $5000 in and around Houston, but it could be higher now and the amount may vary from school to school. The HISD is pretty damn wasteful with the money they receive. Schools have been found spending ridiculous amounts of money on small things like snacks (for the teachers lounge) while the cafeterias are serving junk food to the kids. You know, if Im gonna pay for these kids to go to school, I want them to be eating something better than some #####ing Fruit-loop cereal for lunch.

    "Louvada Siesa O' Sanctisimo Sacramento!"~warcry of the Amakusa/Shimabara rebels

    "We must risk something for God!"~Hernan Cortes


    TEJANO AND PROUD!

    Offline CathMomof7

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1045
    • Reputation: +1270/-10
    • Gender: Female
    School stupidty-man charged for daughters truancy
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: TKGS
    How many people remember when an "excused absence" meant that you had a note signed by your mother...and the school secretary knew what your mother's handwriting looked like.  I was absolutely shocked when a heard parents talking about excused and unexcused absences and discovered that the parents don't decide what is excused.  It made me glad that I never put any of my kids in those holding cells.


    Before we pulled our kids from public school, we learned about this the hard way.  We had three sick children with the flu.  They missed three days.   They stayed home with me, sick and in bed.  On day four, I sent them back to school only to be informed I had to take them all to the Dr. to get a note just so they could go back to school.  And to think I could just write a note myself saying they had been sick and weren't sick anymore.  Silly me.  It costs us $75 for copay on our insurance.  


     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16