I have never understood the fascination and obession with JFK nor why people consider him on the right-end of the spectrum since if you look at his policies while President in 1961-63 it was definitely liberal, although I admit it was moderate liberalism vs. the more radical liberalism seen today. Not being Irish Catholic (I am a Catholic of German descent) and not caring for that preppy fashion JFK wore I can look truthfully at the man without having bias:
1. Trade- While President, JFK broke his promise with steelworkers and under the "Kennedy Round" of trade negotiations passed the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 which opened up America's markets to Europe, Africa, and Asia in the name of "spreading freedom to combat Communism." This Trade Expansion Act began the de-indutrialization that you still see today in this country, destroying all manufactoring jobs. This was in keeping with the tradition of liberal economics of free trade.
2. Foreign Policy- JFK refused to provide air and naval support to Cuban allies on the beaches which made the Bay of Pigs invasion the worst debacle of the Cold War. JFK's constant floundering and silence made Khruschev put missiles into Cuba since he saw JFK as a weak President. JFK agreed to a Saigon coup which overthrew Diem which made Vietnam America's war. He also agreed to Averell Harriman's treaty which left Laos alone and let North Vietnam get their troops and supplies down the Ho Chi Minh Trail, making Vietnam an unwinnable war. JFK and LBJ would put 535,000 American troops into a war that their Administrations could neither end nor win. JFK and RFK would also tell the CIA to assasinate Fidel Castro which ultimately lead to the death of JFK.
3. Moral Behavior- I think this speaks for itself but it is not a big secret that JFK had numerous mistresses like Marilyn Monroe and the interns at Miss Porter's School. It also needs to be said that the Mafia rigged votes for JFK in major cities which caused the defeat of Nixon and the victory of JFK.
4. Economics- JFK's tax cut bill would be buried on the Hill though his tax cuts would launch a boom economy in the early 60's. JFK talked of detente in the Cold War though he would try to create 1,000 land-based missiles and B-52s.
5. Civil Rights- Although JFK would keep his Adminstration away from the March on Washington and would wiretap Martin Luther King for Communist affiliations JFK would try to influence civil rights towards blacks in numerous states.