I hadn't seen this posted when I ran a search, here. There are other points one could add. But the author does get to a few of them in making his general point about this very term. The author might not wish to extend it to the hierarchy, hoping to contain the 'damage' to the ignorants who put money in the plate. The author might go further, however, in that it's not the proud 'EM's who are principally to blame, but a hierarchy which is no longer Catholic that allowed them such 'personal enjoyment' on the 'stage'. It's somewhat humorous because the pride, ignorance and contradictions of the Roman Protestant are - somewhat humorous. Doesn't make it any less tragic:
From un-Muted Mumblings
If you're unsure if the phrase "Roman Protestant" pertains to you, here are a few well aimed questions that may help. Here we go :
If you categorize yourself as a Catholic, plus....
1. If you consider the Eucharist to be a mere symbol of Jesus, you're a Roman Protestant.
2. If you consider the primary purpose of the Mass to be that of a communal meal/gathering, you're a Roman Protestant.
3. If you purposfully dress-down for Mass (shorts, flip-flops, a Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy t-shirt), and you present yourself more like your on your way to either the beach or a barbecue vice God's House, you're not necessarily a Roman Protestant. You're just a disrespectful slob.
4. If you hold/raise your hands during the Our Father because you consider doing such "the primary a sign of unity for Catholics", you obviously don't know what the purpose of the Eucharist is. And guess what? You're a Roman Protestant.
5. If you purposfully don't go to Confession, but go to Communion every Sunday... and your rationale is "I'm basically a good person. I don't commit any REALLY bad sins, and besides, I know God loves me just the way I am", you're a Roman Protestant.
6. If you stand during the Consecration instead of kneel because standing displays "fuller participation", that doesn't mean you're a Roman Protestant. But it does mean you should consider doing calisthenics during the Consecration. Could you even imagine how "full" your participation would be then?
7. If you think that Purgatory is just something that The Church invented during The Middle Ages to bring in money, you're a Roman Protestant.
8. If you prefer On Eagle's Wings over Hail Holy Queen, that doesn't make you a Roman Protestant. That just means that you have really, really bad taste in music! [emphasis mine]
9. If you think that the pope is nothing more than just another bishop, you're a Roman Protestant.
In closing, to those who call themselves "Progressive Catholics" or "Reformed Catholics", let me tell you that Catholicism already has a word for folks like that... they're called Protestants.
Posted by KaleJ at 4/30/2007And some others added
1. If you think that "The Spirit of Vatican II" is what the Church Fathers had in mind at the 2d Vatican Council, you're a Roman Protestant.
2. If you think the Catholic Church didn't exist prior to 1962, you're a Roman Protestant.