Whenever you see an image on any website that you want to post a copy of it here on CI, you can often use the following method:
1) Point your mouse arrow in the middle of the picture that you want to copy here.
2) RIGHT CLICK -- a pop-up window will appear with choices, called a "dialog box."
3) Point your mouse arrow at the choice that says "Co
py Image Location."
4) LEFT CLICK on Copy Image Location. (This action copies the image URL into your invisible clipboard so you can later paste it somewhere else without having to spell the URL correctly by typing it. Because if you try to type it, and you make ONE mistake, the URL is USELESS.)
5) Come back to CI and make sure your cursor is blinking in the spot where you want the picture to show up in your message, then LEFT CLICK on the little box with "IMG" inside, the 10th box in the top row above this text typing area. A dialogue box will appear.
6) Point your mouse arrow inside the text box there, under "URL:" and RIGHT CLICK. Another dialogue box will appear.
7) LEFT CLICK on "P
aste." The image URL will appear in the text box.
8) LEFT CLICK on "OK." Your image URL will appear in your place of choice, with the tags "img" and "/img" on each side, so that the system knows this is a picture to post as a picture.
Once any image has been displayed as an attachment in a post on CI, for example, it can be copied into another post. To show this working right here, I attached a picture of a French Sacred Heart flag, above, and now, using the method I just described in 1-8, above, this is what I can do, below:
The URL is: http: //www. cathinfo.com/catholic.php?a=topic&s=attach&id=4534
(without the 2 spaces).
When I uploaded that French flag attachment in my previous post, I used the same method jen51 describes above, in the "Attachments" area below this text box that I'm typing in right now, with its "Browse" and "Add attachment" buttons.
You can go to any CI post anywhere in the archives, and copy the URL for the image you find there, and re-post it in a new post in a thread.
So long as the image is visible in an old post on CI, it will be available to re-post in a new posting.
Likewise, so long as an image is maintained on some other website (not CI), the URL for the displayed image can be posted here and the image will show up on the thread in CI.
However, if the source website DIES, or if that image is deleted from the source website (like DICI has "scrubbed" some of its contents recently) then the frame here on CI that should have the image in it will be blank, or have something like the following:
That, BTW, is one of the THOUSANDS of scans that Hobbledehoy has posted on CI over several years, and apparently all for nothing, because Photobucket has chosen to not allow the image to be used anymore, for whatever reason.
That's what happens when you rely on Drop Box or Photobucket or any other service as your source for images. You never know if it will be of use in the future. Some sites have been pretty reliable, such as Traditio.com, where you can copy images from as far back as 1995 and they are just fine.
But most websites are not that way, such as Wikipedia or Snopes, where they dump old images a lot. The bottom line is, just because you see it today, doesn't mean you'll see it tomorrow.