Author Topic: Went to my first SSPX mass today  (Read 3228 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline InfiniteFaith

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1590
  • Reputation: +166/-2
  • Gender: Male
Went to my first SSPX mass today
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Just wanted to let you all know that I successfully made the leap to the SSPX. I am very impressed with how things are done at these masses as I have never seen anything like this before. Everyone there seemed very serious about their Faith which is good. All the women wore some sort of thing on their head. There was a rail at the front of the Church right before the altar. During communion everyone would go up to the rail and kneel before it 10 at a time. Each person would open their mouth as the priest would pass by, and he would put the Eucharist in their mouth. I will say that I didn't know how to sing any of the hymns since it was all in Latin and nobody announced which page the hymn was on or anything. So I felt out of place on that.

    Also, I talked to the priest after confession yesterday. I really like that guy. We talked a lot about the same stuff that you guys talk about on this website.

    I really liked the hymns. The choir was really good. Their oration seemed Holier than anything I have witnessed. The people there seemed to radiate a holiness more so than any Novus Ordo I have encountered. The women seemed to reflect our Mother Mary very well. I got the sense that things were more old fashioned and the way things should be. I liked it a lot.

    Oh, BTW, I got my scapular blessed yesterday too. I will be wearing it around my neck at all times.

    Should I be dressing my best for these masses or does it really matter? I just wore a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, and a collared shirt today. I felt more modern than everyone else.

    Offline Matthew

    • Mod
    • *****
    • Posts: 23140
    • Reputation: +20288/-248
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: InfiniteFaith
    Just wanted to let you all know that I successfully made the leap to the SSPX. I am very impressed with how things are done at these masses as I have never seen anything like this before. Everyone there seemed very serious about their Faith which is good. All the women wore some sort of thing on their head. There was a rail at the front of the Church right before the altar. During communion everyone would go up to the rail and kneel before it 10 at a time. Each person would open their mouth as the priest would pass by, and he would put the Eucharist in their mouth. I will say that I didn't know how to sing any of the hymns since it was all in Latin and nobody announced which page the hymn was on or anything. So I felt out of place on that.

    Also, I talked to the priest after confession yesterday. I really like that guy. We talked a lot about the same stuff that you guys talk about on this website.

    I really liked the hymns. The choir was really good. Their oration seemed Holier than anything I have witnessed. The people there seemed to radiate a holiness more so than any Novus Ordo I have encountered. The women seemed to reflect our Mother Mary very well. I got the sense that things were more old fashioned and the way things should be. I liked it a lot.

    Oh, BTW, I got my scapular blessed yesterday too. I will be wearing it around my neck at all times.

    Should I be dressing my best for these masses or does it really matter? I just wore a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, and a collared shirt today. I felt more modern than everyone else.


    Generally, it is good to dig up your best clothes as if you were about to meet God -- which you are. It's a way to show respect. The Blessed Sacrament is the Real Presence of Jesus Christ.

    Whatever your best clothes are, you should use them. In the olden days, it would be suggested to wear clothes like you were going to meet the President of the United States. But today, people would meet the President in T-shirt and jeans. In fact, the President himself would PREFER it to be that way, so it looks like he's mingling with the common man. And what kind of president we have today... but that's a matter for another thread.
    Start your Amazon.com session by clicking this link, and my family and I get a commission on your purchase!


    Offline s2srea

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 5020
    • Reputation: +3826/-28
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: InfiniteFaith
    Just wanted to let you all know that I successfully made the leap to the SSPX. I am very impressed with how things are done at these masses as I have never seen anything like this before. Everyone there seemed very serious about their Faith which is good. All the women wore some sort of thing on their head. There was a rail at the front of the Church right before the altar. During communion everyone would go up to the rail and kneel before it 10 at a time. Each person would open their mouth as the priest would pass by, and he would put the Eucharist in their mouth. I will say that I didn't know how to sing any of the hymns since it was all in Latin and nobody announced which page the hymn was on or anything. So I felt out of place on that.

    Also, I talked to the priest after confession yesterday. I really like that guy. We talked a lot about the same stuff that you guys talk about on this website.

    I really liked the hymns. The choir was really good. Their oration seemed Holier than anything I have witnessed. The people there seemed to radiate a holiness more so than any Novus Ordo I have encountered. The women seemed to reflect our Mother Mary very well. I got the sense that things were more old fashioned and the way things should be. I liked it a lot.

    Oh, BTW, I got my scapular blessed yesterday too. I will be wearing it around my neck at all times.

    Should I be dressing my best for these masses or does it really matter? I just wore a pair of tennis shoes, jeans, and a collared shirt today. I felt more modern than everyone else.


    Good for you my friend! :)

    Offline InfiniteFaith

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1590
    • Reputation: +166/-2
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Oh ya. I know I said I agreed with religious liberty on another thread. After talking with that priest yesterday, I have changed my position on that. I now believe in religious tolerance. If the state is Catholic then no other religion should be able to promote their beliefs publicly via media, etc.

    I just wanted to clear that up now that I am a trad. I realize I need to shed some of the Novus Ordo in me.

    Offline Ambrose

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3447
    • Reputation: +2424/-11
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • IF,

    God has given you a great grace.  I will pray for you that you stay strong in your Faith.  Your post made my day.
    The Council of Trent, The Catechism of the Council of Trent, Papal Teaching, The Teaching of the Holy Office, The Teaching of the Church Fathers, The Code of Canon Law, Countless approved catechisms, The Doctors of the Church, The teaching of the Dogmatic


    Offline DominvsSabaoth

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 138
    • Reputation: +21/-1
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • how was the homily?

    Offline Mabel

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1893
    • Reputation: +1384/-25
    • Gender: Female
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Keep going! I'm glad you were able to attend mass.

     :cheers:

    Offline Janet

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 4
    • Reputation: +15/-0
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Wow, I hate it when people learn in like a week what it took me years to slug through!

    Just kidding.

    I found tradition in Mexico because of clothes. I was going to mass in Puerto Vallarta and trying to get the traditional mass by petition, back in the indult days, and of course getting nowhere (and a good thing, too, since it would have been terrible, an abuse of Our Lord, to have traditional mass in the cesspool of the 'cathedral' in Puerto Vallarta). There was a Eucharistic Congress in Guadalajara, but I didn't go because my Spanish was too weak to arrange it, but when they came back, someone said to me, Hey, there were people just like you in the procession! So of course I said, how, and they said, You know, they were all dressed up! Rich people! Because I always dressed appropriately for mass even though others came in bikini tops (I'm serious). So it took me a whole year, but I finally found those 'rich people' who dressed up for mass, and it was the SSPX chapel in Guadalajara, and they weren't rich at all, in fact, they are so poor it's unbelievable. But they manage, by a ribbon here and a bit of lace there, to give the impression of great dignity and great love for God. And I found them because of the clothes they wore. All I had to do was keep asking, do you know where is the church where they dress up for mass? And that's how I found them.

    May God bless this person so new to tradition. I know they'll get a fashion credit, because traditional mass is the only place a woman can dress like a lady these days. And it's so fun!


    Offline InfiniteFaith

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1590
    • Reputation: +166/-2
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: DominvsSabaoth
    how was the homily?


    Lol. Are you testing me? Jeez now I'm trying to think back. I remember the main theme was about Holy Communion. Then I remember him talking about Heaven and Hell a bit. I like one thing he said...he mentioned how the price for salvation is small...we just need to keep practicing the Faith.

    Offline Mama ChaCha

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 389
    • Reputation: +209/-14
    • Gender: Female
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 10:48:32 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Congratulations!!

     :dancing:
    Matthew 6:34
    " Be not therefore solicitous for to morrow; for the morrow will be solicitous for itself. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

    Offline Charlemagne

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1432
    • Reputation: +2100/-18
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 11:20:41 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • IF, congratulations to you! I remember my first True Mass, and I felt totally lost - and at home - all at the same time. I also felt like the prodigal son, except that I hadn't squandered my inheritance, I'd had it stolen. Besides feeling somewhat lost, would you mind sharing what other feelings you experienced? I'm praying for you.
    "Kindness is for fools! They [modernists] want to be treated with oil, soap, and caresses, but they ought to be beaten with fists. In a duel, you don't count or measure the blows, you strike as you can. War is not made with charity. It is a struggle, a duel." -- Pope St. Pius X


    Offline Mabel

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1893
    • Reputation: +1384/-25
    • Gender: Female
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Charlemagne
    IF, congratulations to you! I remember my first True Mass, and I felt totally lost - and at home - all at the same time. I also felt like the prodigal son, except that I hadn't squandered my inheritance, I'd had it stolen. Besides feeling somewhat lost, would you mind sharing what other feelings you experienced? I'm praying for you.


    I remember being angry that I was lied to, that I was kept from my rightful inheritance!

    Offline InfiniteFaith

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1590
    • Reputation: +166/-2
    • Gender: Male
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 02:37:44 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: InfiniteFaith
    Quote from: DominvsSabaoth
    how was the homily?


    Lol. Are you testing me? Jeez now I'm trying to think back. I remember the main theme was about Holy Communion. Then I remember him talking about Heaven and Hell a bit. I like one thing he said...he mentioned how the price for salvation is small...we just need to keep practicing the Faith.


    Sorry. I'm pretty good at misreading things. Especially when I'm not getting good sleep for the passed 2 months.

    To answer your question, the homily was good.

    For some reason, I was thinking you were asking me, "what was the homily about?"

    Offline Zeitun

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1601
    • Reputation: +971/-14
    • Gender: Female
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Clothing

    Men:  jacket, slacks, tie, best shoes

    Ladies: dress or skirt at least knee length with covered arms, legs, head

    Offline Frances

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 2660
    • Reputation: +2239/-21
    • Gender: Female
    Went to my first SSPX mass today
    « Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 03:05:21 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  •  :dancing-banana:
    Kudos to Charlemagne and Mabel.  I was outraged that the Faith into which I was baptised in 1960 had been hijacked and replaced with a mockery of all She stood for.  But don't dwell on that or you'll become bitter.  Forgive and concentrate on thanking God for the grace of finding the Truth.
     St. Francis Xavier threw a Crucifix into the sea, at once calming the waves.  Upon reaching the shore, the Crucifix was returned to him by a crab with a curious cross pattern on its shell.  

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16