I thought the comments were better than the article. I think comment #1 was what Elizabeth was really thinking.
1. Gotta love that Vatican II. Even satanically inspired voodoo is welcome. But if you want the Traditional Mass, you are out on your ear!
Posted By: Invictus Maneo
2. "... Werner Jaegerhuber, a Haitian born composer of German extraction, selected elements of Haitian vodou, or voodoo, and blended them with music inspired by Gregorian chant to achieve an unprecedented coupling of two opposing faith traditions."
Sickening. This is syncretism at its diabolical worst. What fellowship can there be between Christ and Belial?
"Gotta love that Vatican II. Even satanically inspired voodoo is welcome. But if you want the Traditional Mass, you are out on your ear!"
Insane, isn't it?
Posted By: Cardinal Pole
3. Invictus Maneo: The Mass which used music that incorporated elements of voodoo music with Gregorian chant was held before Vatican II. The Mass was to commemorate the founding of Haiti in 1804, on the sesquicentennial anniversary. That's 150 years. So, the Mass was 150 years after 1804, which would be 1954.
You're taking a cheap and misinformed crack at Vatican II.
Posted By: Mikayla
4. Amen to what Invictus Maneo wrote. That's tolerance. Trust your bishop to govern with love.
Posted By: Ben
5. NO this is not going to happen
Traditional mass will always be here. The Vatican will not allow Satan's worshipers to enter into this Holy House of God! I am sorry and if they do, how dare they? I am a devout Catholic and I have never EVER seen anything so sick in my life!
Posted By: Hannah
6. Invictus: The work was composed between 1947 and 1953. It was proposed for performance in the cathedral in 1954, but permission was withheld (for obvious reasons).
Posted By: Lance Eccles
7. Some people seem to be under the impression that inclusion of a paper in the historical collection of the Vatican Library, is some sort of Church endorsement of its contents or even a recommendation that the musical score it is describing should be used as the basis for liturgies.
The Times and Democrat does not say that Grenier's paper approves of the concept of incorporating voodoo in a Mass. Apparently his article is purely descriptive history. Apparently the library sees the value in having a record of a description of one of the weird things composers did in the 20th century.
Posted By: Peter G
8. Looks like the syncretism and indifferentism of Assisi 1986 contniues....consecrate Russia?, oh that's so passe....
Posted By: Chris Campbell
9. Now that would be something to hear!
Posted By: Bt