Read an Interview with Matthew, the owner of CathInfo

Author Topic: Growing up Catholic in preV2 era  (Read 2358 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Darcy

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 481
  • Reputation: +113/-0
Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:20:31 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Any memories to share?

    I went to Catholic School. There were only 3 lay teachers that I had in the first 8 years.
    There was a convent next to the school and I was in it twice.  :dancing:
    At least 10 sisters lived there if I can recall correctly which I can't too much anymore.
    The rectory housed three priests.
    We attended Mass and Communion EVERY DAY. And then came back to class to eat our breakfasts. I also ate my lunch at that time, too.  :ready-to-eat:

    I know that doesn't sound very exciting. :sleep:

    There were 4 Catholic Parishes with schools in my small city.

    Its not sinful to reminisce, I hope.

    Offline s2srea

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 5020
    • Reputation: +3826/-28
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Darcy
    Any memories to share?.....

    I wish... :cry:  


    Quote

    I know that doesn't sound very exciting. :sleep:

    Actually i does... I wish I could have had this exciting (to me) upbringing!  :wink:


    Offline Telesphorus

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 12714
    • Reputation: +7/-12
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • My mother told me two things about school that I easily remember:

    1) A nun had an allergy to peanuts so some of the students would bring in foods with peanut butter to irritate her.

    2) At the end of the year the children would throw their books into the creek.

    3) a nun mispronounced Brazil.

    4) When my grandfather was on retreat he called my grandmother and the connection was abruptly cut off.

    sometimes silly things are what stick in the minds of people.

    Offline Darcy

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 481
    • Reputation: +113/-0
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • I told my neighborhood playmate that they would go to hell if they were not Catholic. She ran into the house to tell her father who was a baptist preacher.

    My mother told me not to tell the neighbors that anymore.

     :laugh1:

    They are all still living, so there is hope.

    Offline Exilenomore

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 720
    • Reputation: +583/-36
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • One benefit of being young is ofcourse that we have more chance of beholding the Restoration with our eyes. But yes, I agree that having pre-1958 experiences is a priceless treasure.

    Domine, dona nobis panem, pacem, regem et papam sanctam.


    Offline Jehanne

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 2561
    • Reputation: +458/-10
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Darcy
    I told my neighborhood playmate that they would go to hell if they were not Catholic. She ran into the house to tell her father who was a baptist preacher.

    My mother told me not to tell the neighbors that anymore.

     :laugh1:

    They are all still living, so there is hope.


    Does your Avatar symbolize something?

    Offline gladius_veritatis

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 6172
    • Reputation: +1234/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:22:35 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Pre-1958 looks good mostly because of the insanity of the present.

    Post-Restoration, the 1950s will be seen for what they were -- an era of growing externalism when the sprit of things had, for the most part, already waned and was just about to evaporate completely.  If you doubt this, all you have to do is ask yourself, "How did V2, the NOM, etc., pass muster with almost the entire Catholic world?"

    If this seems too hard a judgment, consider that the 1950s led to the 1960s.  The 1960s did not materialize out of thin air; they followed upon what came immediately before them.

    The 1960s seems inconceivably bad because the dam broke.  Well, the water that broke the dam had been building up for a LONG time.

    According to your desires, please carry on with fond memories.  I am NOT here to denigrate those cherished thoughts.  However, MUCH greater things await -- hold fast.
    + Vincit veritas +

    Offline Telesphorus

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 12714
    • Reputation: +7/-12
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: gladius_veritatis
    Pre-1958 looks good mostly because of the insanity of the present.

    Post-Restoration, the 1950s will be seen for what they were -- an era of growing externalism when the sprit of things had, for the most part, already waned and was just about to evaporate completely.  If you doubt this, all you have to do is ask yourself, "How did V2, the NOM, etc., pass muster with almost the entire Catholic world?"

    If this seems too hard a judgment, consider that the 1950s led to the 1960s.  The 1960s did not materialize out of thin air; they followed upon what came immediately before them.

    The 1960s seems inconceivably bad because the dam broke.  Well, the water that broke the dam had been building up for a LONG time.

    According to your desires, please carry on with fond memories.  I am NOT here to denigrate those cherished thoughts.  However, MUCH greater things await -- hold fast.


    The 50s seem like a respite because of the unprecedented threat of global communist and nuclear annihilation.  Some golden years!

    For a time the open assault on the Church west of the iron curtain had to be broken off.

    In the 1950s the generation raised before WWI ceased to be an important influence.

    And TV was introduced.  

    The sad fact is that the enemies of religion attempt revolution on a regular basis.  Now are they nearing another attempt to topple the Catholic religion entirely?  

    To wreck the mission of the SSPX seems to be child's play for them.


    Offline Jitpring

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 536
    • Reputation: +247/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Darcy
    Any memories to share?

    I went to Catholic School. There were only 3 lay teachers that I had in the first 8 years.
    There was a convent next to the school and I was in it twice.  :dancing:
    At least 10 sisters lived there if I can recall correctly which I can't too much anymore.
    The rectory housed three priests.
    We attended Mass and Communion EVERY DAY. And then came back to class to eat our breakfasts. I also ate my lunch at that time, too.  :ready-to-eat:

    I know that doesn't sound very exciting. :sleep:

    There were 4 Catholic Parishes with schools in my small city.

    Its not sinful to reminisce, I hope.


    Darcy, I like this post a lot. Being born in the dismal '70s, it's always good to hear things like this. And I like that little detail about you eating your breakfast and lunch at the same time.  :laugh1: Did you get in trouble for it?
    Age, thou art shamed.*
    O shame, where is thy blush?**

    -Shakespeare, Julius Caesar,* Hamlet**

    Online RomanCatholic1953

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 5915
    • Reputation: +2100/-46
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • In my memory of the pre vatican 2 church in which I was
    Baptized, confessed, received my first communion, and
    confirmed in, was a true since of Faith, Hope, and Charity.
    Something that is so lacking today.

    Offline PartyIsOver221

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1238
    • Reputation: +640/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Telesphorus
    My mother told me two things about school that I easily remember:

    1) A nun had an allergy to peanuts so some of the students would bring in foods with peanut butter to irritate her.

    2) At the end of the year the children would throw their books into the creek.

    3) a nun mispronounced Brazil.

    4) When my grandfather was on retreat he called my grandmother and the connection was abruptly cut off.

    sometimes silly things are what stick in the minds of people.


    Hey thats four!


    Offline Darcy

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 481
    • Reputation: +113/-0
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Jehanne
    Quote from: Darcy
    I told my neighborhood playmate that they would go to hell if they were not Catholic. She ran into the house to tell her father who was a baptist preacher.

    My mother told me not to tell the neighbors that anymore.

     :laugh1:

    They are all still living, so there is hope.


    Does your Avatar symbolize something?


    I wish I could say my school uniform. But it is a tartan from an area in Scotland but it is not my family tartan. I will switch it to a tartan I have the right to use shortly.
    I liked the colors of this one. So I used it but shouldn't have. :-(

    Offline Darcy

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 481
    • Reputation: +113/-0
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Exilenomore
    One benefit of being young is ofcourse that we have more chance of beholding the Restoration with our eyes. But yes, I agree that having pre-1958 experiences is a priceless treasure.

    Domine, dona nobis panem, pacem, regem et papam sanctam.


    Do you think I'll be dead before the Restoration? :scared2:

    Offline gladius_veritatis

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 6172
    • Reputation: +1234/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Darcy
    Do you think I'll be dead before the Restoration?


    We all may be dead by morning, and God alone knows who will see tomorrow, much less the renewal of the world...

    You are alive now...there is hope :)
    + Vincit veritas +

    Offline Raoul76

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4814
    • Reputation: +2007/-4
    • Gender: Male
    Growing up Catholic in preV2 era
    « Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • In a way, even if we don't live, we have seen the Restoration already.  Its outlines may be indistinct, but we have seen it.  

    My reason to want to live to see the Restoration is frankly pretty personal.  I feel I've wasted a lot of time and I want to be useful somehow, to do something for God, but I don't know what to do in the present moment when everything seems pointless.  

    But ultimately, the goal is not to see the Restoration, it's to see God in heaven.  The Restoration will not be like a Renaissance Faire with everyone dancing and singing, it will be a medieval-type world with everyone working hard on farms and doing back-breaking labor, trying to rebuild the world.  True joy is found in heaven, in the presence of God.  The Restoration is still an earthly event, no matter how glorious, and this is still a fallen world.

    If I do live to see the Restoration, I will have undergone hell and will very weary, not the relatively bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Raoul of today ( despite that my life is already grisly, it takes a lot to beat me down ).  I just feel like my life is incomplete at the moment, I want to be of service and work off some purgatory time -- never in my life have I FIT anywhere and before I die I hope I do -- but it's all up to God.
    As I was a new convert when posting here, my posts are often full of error, even unwitting heresy and rash judgment, all of which I renounce, and all my writings are best avoided -- MDLS

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16