Author Topic: Gambling  (Read 1894 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Matto

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5271
  • Reputation: +2850/-85
  • Gender: Male
Gambling
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • I have a question for the forum. When is gambling a sin? I know that many churches support gambling, with bingo and at my chapel raffles. But is gambling a sin? My father, who grew up before Vatican II told me that the priests used to tell him that gambling is a sin, but today many churches, including many traditional churches promote gambling.
    My blog about suffering from mental illness, religion, and life:
    Julian Moore

    Offline crossbro

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1434
    • Reputation: +0/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Matto
    I have a question for the forum. When is gambling a sin? I know that many churches support gambling, with bingo and at my chapel raffles. But is gambling a sin? My father, who grew up before Vatican II told me that the priests used to tell him that gambling is a sin, but today many churches, including many traditional churches promote gambling.


    If the habit takes food and clothing from your kids or robs them of comfort then I would say you sinning. Same a drinking or smoking which costs money that should go into the household.

    That would be my best guess.


    Offline SenzaDubbio

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 185
    • Reputation: +74/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 02:14:09 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Recently I had just asked a priest this question via email:

    Is playing the lottery a sin?

    No, as long as one does not waste money on it that should be spent on other things.

    Offline Matto

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 5271
    • Reputation: +2850/-85
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • If gambling is only a sin when you use money you don't have, then would it be a sin to be a professional gambler?
    My blog about suffering from mental illness, religion, and life:
    Julian Moore

    Offline MarylandTrad

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 179
    • Reputation: +190/-31
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Most casinos are owned by Jews which should tell us all we need to know. Gambling was listed in the The Protocols of the Elders of Zion as one of the things they would use to distract and degrade us.

    Being a professional gambler would definitely be a mortal sin.

    Catholics should not play the lottery, the Bible clearly condemns trying to make fast money and promotes honest work.
    "The Blessed Eucharist means nothing to a man who thinks other people can get along without It. The Blessed Eucharist means nothing to a communicant who thinks he needs It but someone else does not. The Blessed Eucharist means nothing to a communicant who offers others any charity ahead of this Charity of the Bread of Life." -Fr. Leonard Feeney, Bread of Life


    Offline SenzaDubbio

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 185
    • Reputation: +74/-0
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • The priest didn't say gambling is pious,or encourages it, but is permissible. It in itself is not a sin.

    Offline claudel

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1000
    • Reputation: +758/-3
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: MarylandTrad
    Being a professional gambler would definitely be a mortal sin.


    Three will get you seven that you don't know the first thing about sin, mortal or otherwise.

    The long-standing Vatican II-generated crisis in the Faith is particularly evident in the critical absence of sound catechesis, of which the quoted comment is a painful example.

    Offline ggreg

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 2713
    • Reputation: +1/-2
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: SenzaDubbio
    Recently I had just asked a priest this question via email:

    Is playing the lottery a sin?

    No, as long as one does not waste money on it that should be spent on other things.


    Surely all money gambled could, and perhaps should, be spent on 'other things', until there are no desperately poor people left in the world or priests needing money to travel to say mass or poor seminary students trying to find benefactors.

    I think "other things" could certainly make a good case for having the first call on that money rather than the "entertainment" value of the lottery.


    Offline claudel

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1000
    • Reputation: +758/-3
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Matto
    I have a question for the forum. When is gambling a sin? I know that many churches support gambling, with bingo and at my chapel raffles. But is gambling a sin? My father, who grew up before Vatican II told me that the priests used to tell him that gambling is a sin, but today many churches, including many traditional churches promote gambling.


    No offense meant to your father, Matto, but since I grew up during same era (b. 1945), the only explanation I can come up with for his getting the wrong end of this particular stick is that he didn't notice that the priests who gave him that line were aliens from the planet Mongo in clever disguise.

    Not only did I frequently hear denials of the in se sinfulness of gambling from the pulpit, but the Ursuline nuns who taught me in grammar school made the very same point time and again—precisely to resist the assumption by me and their other charges that the narrowminded Protestant morality of the community at large, which mistakenly characterized the abuse of drinking and gambling and similar pastimes as proof of their innate immorality, ought to be taken as correct.

    While it is undoubtedly true that Americanism was rife among the hierarchy in the thirties, forties, and fifties—something that made the USA fertile soil for the Vatican II mind-set when it came on the scene—it is also true that in practical terms, the moral and doctrinal catechesis that most Catholics received at the parish and parochial school level was extremely sound, not least in its profound reasonableness. In one of its central aspects, that catechesis understood—and taught us youngsters to understand—that essentially every human inclination and interest and impulse found in this terrestrial plane was subject to exaggeration and abuse and corruption. The fault was in us, however, not in the Creation which Our Good Lord had placed us in.

    Offline soulguard

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1698
    • Reputation: +3/-7
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Gambling is not a sin unless it impairs reason and leads to vice and sin, or if it is contrary to the greater good when a formal choice between charity and indulgence is presented to the gambler.
    This is what i gather.
     :stare:

    Offline Nadir

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4799
    • Reputation: +2672/-67
    • Gender: Female
    Gambling
    « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • There is nothing inherently evil in gambling. The more protestant we become the more we believe it is. Why! I have a protestant friend who believes drinking wine is sinful.

    It all depends on whether you control your gambling or your gambling controls you. In the former no sin; in the latter sin.



    Offline Ursus

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 317
    • Reputation: +137/-1
    Gambling
    « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 02:57:08 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Matto
    If gambling is only a sin when you use money you don't have, then would it be a sin to be a professional gambler?


    Funny, if you gamble and you lose a lot they say you have a "problem." If you win a lot you're a professional gambler.

    Best to be avoided. But gambling is directly tied to EVERYTHING now since the commodity prices that set what we need to buy are gambled. The stock market is a gamble, when it loses people lose their jobs. Because all companies care about is price of their stock, not employees.

    Sad world indeed.

    Offline Traditional Guy 20

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3427
    • Reputation: +1660/-45
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Gambling is a destructive vice and is something that should be criticized.

    Having seen my grandfather go to Vegas and lose tons of money on this rediculous venture and waste of time, go ahead and call me Puritanical or whatever but I oppose gambling, except if it is a simple card game meant to have fun with your friends.


    Offline Traditional Guy 20

    • Sr. Member
    • ****
    • Posts: 3427
    • Reputation: +1660/-45
    • Gender: Male
    Gambling
    « Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 09:55:30 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: claudel
    While it is undoubtedly true that Americanism was rife among the hierarchy in the thirties, forties, and fifties—something that made the USA fertile soil for the Vatican II mind-set when it came on the scene—it is also true that in practical terms, the moral and doctrinal catechesis that most Catholics received at the parish and parochial school level was extremely sound, not least in its profound reasonableness. In one of its central aspects, that catechesis understood—and taught us youngsters to understand—that essentially every human inclination and interest and impulse found in this terrestrial plane was subject to exaggeration and abuse and corruption. The fault was in us, however, not in the Creation which Our Good Lord had placed us in.


    Considering Catholic high schools and colleges in the 1950's taught the likes of Theodore Dreiser, Jack London, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, etc. that's not really speaking much for their "sound education."

    Offline Cantarella

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 6498
    • Reputation: +3998/-459
    • Gender: Female
    Gambling
    « Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 01:05:44 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Nadir
    There is nothing inherently evil in gambling. The more protestant we become the more we believe it is. Why! I have a protestant friend who believes drinking wine is sinful.

    It all depends on whether you control your gambling or your gambling controls you. In the former no sin; in the latter sin.



    This. As with everything, one must exercise personal restrain and self-discipline as to not fall in sinful excesses.
    If anyone says that true and natural water is not necessary for baptism and thus twists into some metaphor the words of our Lord Jesus Christ" Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit" (Jn 3:5) let him be anathema.

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16