Author Topic: dowries  (Read 1078 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jman123

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 498
  • Reputation: +133/-11
  • Gender: Male
dowries
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • I was reading a book on Marriage in the middle Ages and I was wondering if dowries should make a comeback.

    Do you think dowries are usefull from a Catholic point of view? or are we better off today without dowries

    Offline Telesphorus

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 12714
    • Reputation: +7/-12
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:16:42 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: jman123
    I was reading a book on Marriage in the middle Ages and I was wondering if dowries should make a comeback.

    Do you think dowries are usefull from a Catholic point of view? or are we better off today without dowries


    Dowries are a relic of a time when women needed husbands to protect and care for them.  Now they have the police and their police dogs at their beck and call. who also act as extortionists.

    Anyone who wants a traditional family has to be willing to shed blood if he wants to keep his rights.

    Going to heaven and getting married don't go together very easily these days.


    Offline Raoul76

    • Hero Member
    • *****
    • Posts: 4814
    • Reputation: +2007/-4
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • It certainly shows how things have changed.  Before it was girls who wanted to make a good match, and their family would even throw some money at potential husbands to make it happen.  

    Now it is the girls who have men drooling at their feet, begging for just one night with them, taking their pick of the litter.  

    It is clear the devil has played with enormous success upon female vanity.  They have raised themselves, with the help of men, from mere mortals to goddesses.  No longer concerned with support and stability, they want worship.  Since being married would domesticate them and rob them of their "mystery," they have decided to be elusive heartbreakers instead.  

    This paradigm shift has been pushed by the media, where guys are presented as losers whose entire goal in life is to score a beautiful woman.  We have turned women into God, dazzled by their beauty, blinded by our own sin, when in reality they are just weak and feeble creatures.  

    From this perspective, I can see -- in a certain sense -- why women like feminism, though ultimately it will make them miserable.  It's the same with gays, they can do what they want, but what they want will lead to their ruin.
    As I was a new convert when posting here, my posts are often full of error, even unwitting heresy and rash judgment, all of which I renounce, and all my writings are best avoided -- MDLS

    Offline spouse of Jesus

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1903
    • Reputation: +336/-1
    • Gender: Female
    dowries
    « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 02:49:03 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  •   Idolization is the most subtle way to ruin. It is funny but nevertheless a historical reality that is was the impure, impious misogynist men who made idols of women, comparing them to flowers, jewels, diamonds, peacocks etc. for their own pleasure. Those most skillful in praising women were the most successful ones in buying and selling them like objects.
      The greater his misogyny the greater the number of women and the shorter the duration of his love. And it is ironic how the modern progressed world with all it's liberation and masculinization of women is going the same direction as caliphates of old old arabians!

     
    Quote
    It is clear the devil has played with enormous success upon female vanity. They have raised themselves, with the help of men, from mere mortals to goddesses.


      Well "a man is a wolf give him food and sex and he will turn into a lamb. " as old ladies say. The feminine secrets of '' taming a man'' passes from old ladies to young girls in the non-developed world.

      Nothing new in the new world.

    Offline Marcelino

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1498
    • Reputation: +31/-3
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:12:16 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • I guess you could say that the career girl has eliminated the dowry.  You know, a girl who's in the top fifty percent of income earners and still has a "hope chest" seems kind of funny.  She's independent;  she doesn't need a man to take care of her,  she'll take care of a man!  So, not surprisingly she may want to date a younger guy.  That's a strange recipe for a happy family.

    An older woman who is economically powerful, with an economically weaker and younger man.  That sounds quite alien and hostile to the world that had dowries.  


    "A study released in 2003 by the United Kingdom's Office for National Statistics concluded that the proportion of women in England and Wales marrying younger men rose from 15% to 26% between 1963 and 1998.[9]"

    " A 2003 AARP study had previously brought results that 34% of forty-year and older women were dating younger men.[10]"


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships


    Offline Darcy

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 481
    • Reputation: +113/-0
    dowries
    « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 02:28:24 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Marcelino
    I guess you could say that the career girl has eliminated the dowry.  You know, a girl who's in the top fifty percent of income earners and still has a "hope chest" seems kind of funny.  She's independent;  she doesn't need a man to take care of her,  she'll take care of a man! So, not surprisingly she may want to date a younger guy.  That's a strange recipe for a happy family.

    An older woman who is economically powerful, with an economically weaker and younger man.  That sounds quite alien and hostile to the world that had dowries.  


    "A study released in 2003 by the United Kingdom's Office for National Statistics concluded that the proportion of women in England and Wales marrying younger men rose from 15% to 26% between 1963 and 1998.[9]"

    " A 2003 AARP study had previously brought results that 34% of forty-year and older women were dating younger men.[10]"


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships


    That is the dowry. Her earning potential. Many women go into the professional workforce to find a desireable mate. It usually backfires but that is just more proof that you cannot change our God given natures.

    Offline Marcelino

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1498
    • Reputation: +31/-3
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • At least from the function of, dowry as bride's insurance against loss of husband, career certainly has replaced dowry.  Also from the function of, dowry as seed money for a new family, a second income has replaced it.  And I guess the final function of dowry, dowry as bait to catch most eligible bachelors with, the lure of a second income has replaced that too.  

    Of course, all this means women won't have much time for children or developing that home life that seems so fundamental to having a full and rich life, because they are too busy working, commuting, continuing their education and climbing the ladder.

    In the end, the replacement of dowry with career seems to have been an awful blow to home life and children.  Understandably, folks wanted to maintain the standard of living they had grown up with.  Still, Americans are experiencing a declining standard of living, a declining birth rate and declining quality of life, even with second incomes.  

    So, I suppose if a bride could have her security in some other way than career, then perhaps you could have something of a normal family.  Maybe dowry could play a role in that.  



    Offline jman123

    • Jr. Member
    • **
    • Posts: 498
    • Reputation: +133/-11
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Marcelino
    At least from the function of, dowry as bride's insurance against loss of husband, career certainly has replaced dowry.  Also from the function of, dowry as seed money for a new family, a second income has replaced it.  And I guess the final function of dowry, dowry as bait to catch most eligible bachelors with, the lure of a second income has replaced that too.  

    Of course, all this means women won't have much time for children or developing that home life that seems so fundamental to having a full and rich life, because they are too busy working, commuting, continuing their education and climbing the ladder.

    In the end, the replacement of dowry with career seems to have been an awful blow to home life and children.  Understandably, folks wanted to maintain the standard of living they had grown up with.  Still, Americans are experiencing a declining standard of living, a declining birth rate and declining quality of life, even with second incomes.  

    So, I suppose if a bride could have her security in some other way than career, then perhaps you could have something of a normal family.  Maybe dowry could play a role in that.  



    isn't it unnatural for women to be working in careers?


    Offline Marcelino

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 1498
    • Reputation: +31/-3
    • Gender: Male
    dowries
    « Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: jman123
    Quote from: Marcelino
    At least from the function of, dowry as bride's insurance against loss of husband, career certainly has replaced dowry.  Also from the function of, dowry as seed money for a new family, a second income has replaced it.  And I guess the final function of dowry, dowry as bait to catch most eligible bachelors with, the lure of a second income has replaced that too.  

    Of course, all this means women won't have much time for children or developing that home life that seems so fundamental to having a full and rich life, because they are too busy working, commuting, continuing their education and climbing the ladder.

    In the end, the replacement of dowry with career seems to have been an awful blow to home life and children.  Understandably, folks wanted to maintain the standard of living they had grown up with.  Still, Americans are experiencing a declining standard of living, a declining birth rate and declining quality of life, even with second incomes.  

    So, I suppose if a bride could have her security in some other way than career, then perhaps you could have something of a normal family.  Maybe dowry could play a role in that.  



    isn't it unnatural for women to be working in careers?


    I think so, but I've never lived in that world  :reading:

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16