Read an Interview with Matthew, the owner of CathInfo

Author Topic: Catholic women and dresses  (Read 10214 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Cheryl

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 636
  • Reputation: +208/-2
  • Gender: Female
Catholic women and dresses
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Alexandria
    Quote
    If it is one pet peeve I have, it is the fact that some Catholics don't have the common courtesy and basic respect to not dress like bums for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. I'm not saying you have to wear a tux and wedding dress every Sunday. I just mean a BASIC level of respect where you put SOME effort into looking just a LITTLE bit respectable and presentable for Our Lord.


    Comfort - it is all about comfort.  I can excuse the young people but not the ones my age and older who do know better.  Disgraceful all around!


    My in-laws are N.O. sorry to say, but what can one do when one is 89 and the other 90?  When they go to church, my mother-in-law always wears a dress and my father-in-law a suit and tie.  One time their cookie and kool-aid guy, made a comment about how they dressed and asked if they had always dressed like this to go to church?  Since there are young ones here, I'll leave you to figure out my father-in-law's response.  The real kicker is that my father-in-law converted to the N.O. when he was in his 70's. My in-laws always complain about the way the younger generation dresses to go to church.

    Offline Cheryl

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 636
    • Reputation: +208/-2
    • Gender: Female
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Alexandria
    Quote
    If it is one pet peeve I have, it is the fact that some Catholics don't have the common courtesy and basic respect to not dress like bums for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. I'm not saying you have to wear a tux and wedding dress every Sunday. I just mean a BASIC level of respect where you put SOME effort into looking just a LITTLE bit respectable and presentable for Our Lord.


    Comfort - it is all about comfort.  I can excuse the young people but not the ones my age and older who do know better.  Disgraceful all around!


    Betcha they've never heard the words, one's Sunday best. :ape:


    Offline Cheryl

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 636
    • Reputation: +208/-2
    • Gender: Female
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: MaterDominici
    Quote from: Cheryl
    If you haven't tried already, you might look at your local resale/second hand store.  There are a lot of women out there you seem to think that shopping is an up and coming new olympic sport and they'e out there training for it.  So when they have no more room to store the new stuff, they donate it to charity.  You'd be surprised how many new articles of clothing, in all sizes, you'll find at the resale store with the original price tags still attached.  


    So true, Cheryl! My mind gives them all the benefit of the doubt and says these are gifts that they didn't like.  :smirk:
    :



    Exactly Mater, they just haven't re-gifted the items yet.

    Resale shopping does have many variables to the equation.  For instance, if you live in a rural area, there won't be too many of them.  Cuts way down on choices.  The area I live in has many choices, so there are a lot of items to choose from.  I would have to say, 90% of my wardrobe comes from second hand stores.  100% of my husband's t-shirts he wears to work come from the resale store.  Most of my dishes, kitchen utensils, and cookware also are slightly used or new.  A good book to get from the library that might help those new to second hand and garage sale shopping is, The Complete Tightwad Gazette.  A quick look at Amazon will give you a good synopsis of the book.  It is somewhat dated, but for anyone wishing to become a hardcore frugalite, it's an absolute must.  I have found websites dedicated to shopping second hand for sweaters and wool items in order to get yarn for knitting or crocheting.  Plus sites on how to unravel those sweaters.   I've been shopping resale stores for so long, I can't even go to Walmart without shaking my head, and tut, tutting at how expensive the clothes are. :roll-laugh1:    

    Offline Harv1

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 24
    • Reputation: +10/-0
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Of course wear a skirt, dress etc to TLM
    Now look you lot, come up to Canada on a deep snowy and windy day and I can tell you I look like a polar bear.  First you put on the long johns, then the pants and sweaters, then the jacket and scarf and hat with mitts.  That's just to go and get a bag of milk. Then you get to your front door and discover you need to go to the bathroom.  That if your lucky, takes time and then you go through the same dressing all over again.
    Makeup, c'mon at my age I can't even iron out the wrinkles!

    Offline Cheryl

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 636
    • Reputation: +208/-2
    • Gender: Female
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Harv1
    Of course wear a skirt, dress etc to TLM
    Now look you lot, come up to Canada on a deep snowy and windy day and I can tell you I look like a polar bear.  First you put on the long johns, then the pants and sweaters, then the jacket and scarf and hat with mitts.  That's just to go and get a bag of milk. Then you get to your front door and discover you need to go to the bathroom.  That if your lucky, takes time and then you go through the same dressing all over again.
    Makeup, c'mon at my age I can't even iron out the wrinkles!


    No problem dear, I'll stop by pick you up and we'll go to my favorite winter vacation spot, Michigan's Upper Peninsular.  You'll be one of the few people I know who'll be dressed for it! LOL!   Or maybe we can spend some time in the only place in Canada that's south of the United States.


    Offline Harv1

    • Newbie
    • *
    • Posts: 24
    • Reputation: +10/-0
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #80 on: October 07, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • North Michigan, yikes that's like the Artic.
    Cheryl, don't forget the address.  I'm waiting for the next dog sled going your way, with Nelson Eddy singing Rose Marie.

    Offline Cheryl

    • Full Member
    • ***
    • Posts: 636
    • Reputation: +208/-2
    • Gender: Female
    Catholic women and dresses
    « Reply #81 on: October 07, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »
  • Thanks!0
  • No Thanks!0
  • Quote from: Harv1
    North Michigan, yikes that's like the Artic.
    Cheryl, don't forget the address.  I'm waiting for the next dog sled going your way, with Nelson Eddy singing Rose Marie.


    Don't threaten me dearie!  My mother used to watch those movies all the time when I was a child, and she's not even Canadian.  My vision of Hell is one Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald movie after another, over and over and over...
    You're a hard woman, first wet noodle treatments, then Nelson Eddy singing Rose Marie, geez.  If you take requests, I'm in need of aero bars, coffee crisps and smarties, I'm all set on Red Rose tea.   I'm just kidding, I'll be popping over to Sarnia soon, I'm almost out of Jameson's, something you can't be without when you're married to an Irish Catholic. :roll-laugh1:   You have to love a well stocked LCBO!

     

    Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16